Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: SGettman Motor Thread...

Wow someone must have got a deal on silicone. :squiggle:

Riverkid
    Those are those rubber bass bait things???

wsuwrhr
    Looks like a ton "o" hurt
    Brian

SGettmann
    Looks like a ton "o" hurt
    Brian
    Excellent! Thanks RiverKid for taking the time to get these photos up. This is my motor out of my Schiada that is sitting down at Boostpower. As some may know, I didn't get all the water out of the block and the Idaho winter cracked a sleeve. It was actually a blessing, because it forced me to do a tear down and find out for sure what I had (A pile of crap). I had been talking to Alexi at Boostpower and heard some great things about his shop from various hot boaters, so over Christmas break, I loaded up the motor and brought her down to SoCal (Thanks to my Mom and Dad who visited over Christmas break - I sent them back to Cali with the motor). I originally thought that I only needed a block, but as Alexi got in there, things drastrically got worse, or better, depending how you look at it. Check out the oil pick up - over 60% covered in silicon. The original engine builder, chose to use silicone instead of gaskets for some reason :rollside: In addition, check out the fly wheel, instead of being balanced properly, it was drilled. The MSD ignition is an auto version, that's been locked out, so I need a new one of those as well. Also, if looking in the oil pan, there is ground metal all through the bottom from bearing residue - since the motor was not properly balanced. The good news: if I ran another season without finding this out, I would have lost everything most likely. So, I still have my turbos, heads are savable - though Alexi noted that my heads are designed for a high RPM motor, not a turbo, so I'll most likely get a new set of heads. Were going through the process of selecting a short block to start up, and do the rebuild.
    When buying a boat, I would recommend to always tear the motor apart before using her or even finalizing the deal. I talked to the engine builder before I bought her, asked questions, was told 'only the best' was in there. It was a NWSRA boat, so I made the assumption that if the boat went through a few seasons, the engine had to be strong. After talking with Alexi, this was not the case, since there was a stock crank - no billet crank, and other stuff wasn't quite right. It's a learning lesson, and it will be set up appropriately. Even better, it will be even great HP that kicks in much sooner. Not that I need more HP, but its nice to have.
    If going with an engine builder for a set up to last, get your references down. Based on the info that Boostpower is giving me, they are shooting straight and not BS'ing me. I plan on getting a setup from them that should last for a while, as long as I don't do anything stupid - including leaving any water in the block. I learned that I need to blow out my superchiller before winter, which I had no idea about. I thought that it all drained via gravity.
    Now that's an article idea for ***boat - winterizing your boat for sub artic conditions.
    Let me know if you have any questions. I'm happy to answer them except for who the original engine builder was. I'm not into spreading negative stuff. Just if you're getting your motor built up by a professional builder, get some references. At this time, Boostpower is definately delivering on their words and knowledge.

SGettmann
    Those are those rubber bass bait things???
    I'm guessing my sea strainers didn't work so well when I flew by the steel head fisherman lined up on the Snake River outside of Lewiston.

GofastRacer
    Damn that sucks, sorry to hear that!..
    When buying a boat, I would recommend to always tear the motor apart before using her or even finalizing the deal. I talked to the engine builder before I bought her, asked questions, was told 'only the best' was in there. It was a NWSRA boat, so I made the assumption that if the boat went through a few seasons, the engine had to be strong. After talking with Alexi, this was not the case, since there was a stock crank - no billet crank, and other stuff wasn't quite right. It's a learning lesson, and it will be set up appropriately. Even better, it will be even great HP that kicks in much sooner. Not that I need more HP, but its nice to have.
    Learned my lesson the same way, only took one time!. Since then if I buy a boat, they can keep their motor I'll build my own!..

Riverkid
    Now that's an article idea for ***boat - winterizing your boat for sub artic conditions.
    Absolutely no need. Just send her down here to sunny SoCA when the seasons winds down. I'll put her in the garage, right next to mine. She'll stay nice and cozy all winter long...
    Soon enough...
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...mannsMotor.jpg

Sangerboy
    Since then if I buy a boat, they can keep their motor I'll build my own!..
    Caveat Emptor when buying any "performance" engine. I'm with you Art. If you're interested in going real fast, spend a little extra money, buy a proven hull that is set up well and then build your own engine( or use a shop that you have a personal rapport with). It's amazing what some people's definition of "all the best parts" is .

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast