Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: SGettman Motor Thread...

GofastRacer
    It's amazing what some people's definition of "all the best parts" is .
    Man you got that right!..

EZE II
    Sorry to hear about your motor thats a bummer. I believe I know who the engine builder was. I also had a twin turbo motor built by the same guy, and also had the same problems you had. My lasted 35 hours before it went down. Good luck to you an your new motor.

SGettmann
    Sorry to hear about your motor thats a bummer. I believe I know who the engine builder was. I also had a twin turbo motor built by the same guy, and also had the same problems you had. My lasted 35 hours before it went down. Good luck to you an your new motor.
    EZE II - sorry to hear about your situation. I don't have much to go on since I bought the boat used and don't think that the builder would stand behind the work. Plus, the motor still ran. I was lucky in that the block cracked with the cold water (I know this sounds like I'm nuts). For your situation, what was the outcome? Did you fill out your 'customer feedback' form. Were things done right, or did you go to another builder who did things right and is willing to stand behind their work?
    This is a big learning lesson for me. At some point, I want to take a naturally carburated motor and start building one up on my own - as a learner motor. With the high end performance motors, I'm currently way over my head with my lack of knowledge. I'm trying to learn as much as possible, in which Alexi has been good about explaining things and giving me all the analysis reports.

CircleJerk
    Boy, that's tough. Hey, we just had a RRII movie party here and you are only an hour or so from here. I also do my motor work after drag motor experiences. You could have inspected your oil filters for bad stuff in the oil which can ruin your day before boating.....

Klass Klown
    Look's like a 40-50 thousand dollar pile of junk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rollside:

SGettmann
    Look's like a 40-50 thousand dollar pile of junk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rollside:
    KK- I never noted that this was a 40-50K motor. If it's done right for the 1200 HP plus motors, then for it to be done right, this would be the cost -retail. I'm sure that the sponsored racers get the inside good guy cost, but I'm not in this league - just a recreationalist. There's allot of time and machining put into building up a motor that will last. I don't have the experience at building up race motors to last, so I need to rely on the guys that have the name and reputation behind them to build something that lasts. You sound like some of my friends who ask why I don't go down to Pep Boys or Schucks and buy a crate motor.
    Anyway, what are you running? Once you start getting up in the 700 Hp plus motors, price goes way up. But then again, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. I haven't seen Gentry 512 turbo motors sitting on the shelf the few times that I've stepped into Walmart.

SGettmann
    Boy, that's tough. Hey, we just had a RRII movie party here and you are only an hour or so from here. I also do my motor work after drag motor experiences. You could have inspected your oil filters for bad stuff in the oil which can ruin your day before boating.....
    Hi Circle Jerk - Excellent. I thought the River Rat viewing was only in Southern Cal. I would have been stoked to see that. Definately keep me in the loop if there's another viewing, I'm in Spokane quiet a bit. The clubs are a little bit more eventful in Spokane, especailly Trick Shots with that mechanical bull. Get crap faced, then go ride a bull for shetz and giggles. Moscow has some venues, but when you're not a college student, it's time to get into a different environment. I've learned being in the early thirties and dating college undergrads is not exactly in my best interest. There's allot of similarities between my life and 'Old School' - and no, I am not Frank the Tank.
    Where are you running? I've been fortunate running at Cour D Alene. I'm constantly reminded about the 55 mph speed limit, but I haven't been lit up there. Let's definately get together this summer or before. Having other hot boaters in the region is completely cool and a dream. I live in the land of Alumaweld Steel Head fishing boats and luxery Yatchs on Cour D Alene. There's a few guys with Fountains and Eliminator Cats, but those guys are all out of my range. 21' and smaller gets my boat of choice. (Hard enough finding inside storage for a 21', let alone anything larger.

Klass Klown
    KK- I never noted that this was a 40-50K motor. If it's done right for the 1200 HP plus motors, then for it to be done right, this would be the cost -retail. I'm sure that the sponsored racers get the inside good guy cost, but I'm not in this league - just a recreationalist. There's allot of time and machining put into building up a motor that will last. I don't have the experience at building up race motors to last, so I need to rely on the guys that have the name and reputation behind them to build something that lasts. You sound like some of my friends who ask why I don't go down to Pep Boys or Schucks and buy a crate motor.
    Anyway, what are you running? Once you start getting up in the 700 Hp plus motors, price goes way up. But then again, maybe I don't know what I'm talking about. I haven't seen Gentry 512 turbo motors sitting on the shelf the few times that I've stepped into Walmart.
    I do not need to post my resume to you, beleive me I know what it takes to build a hard running motor, but speaking of crate motors gm sells one for around 12,000 that puts out over 700 H.P so let's do the math you could buy 4 of these and still be under 50K. And B.T.W I have run ubgj, Me,PE,Te as well as PCE. :boxed:

SGettmann
    I do not need to post my resume to you, beleive me I know what it takes to build a hard running motor, but speaking of crate motors gm sells one for around 12,000 that puts out over 700 H.P so let's do the math you could buy 4 of these and still be under 50K. And B.T.W I have run ubgj, Me,PE,Te as well as PCE. :boxed:
    KK - you're point is well taken and these are questions that I will ask. With the acronyms, since I'm in learning mode, can you let me know what ubgj, Me, PE, TE as well as PCE stand for. Thanks.
    Also, with GM crate motors, have they been machined? - Line board, and everything else that they do. I have allot to learn on this, but I've been told that crate motor tolerances aren't all that great for high performance motors to last. Also, have all internal components been balanced? This was my problem, the owner before me/engine builder, did not have everything balanced - as a result, the bearing residue builds up at the bottom of the pan. I haven't even received the quote yet on what it will take to put a new short block prepped for my turbo system. I'm expecting over $10K, but I need to keep an open mind until Alexi gets back to me, since there is allot of homework that he has to do. This isn't an easy quote, since much of my stuff swaps over.
    The good news, is that I can sleeve the block, have it cleaned up, and use the heads and other savable components to build up a new naturally aspirated motor for my dad's 20' Schiada. The best thing about this is that I get to work with my dad in building up an engine myself, which will be educational.
    KK - I'm not trying to spar with you on this and your engine experience. It's good to question what I think is right and I will ask questions to my engine builder. I prefer to spend the money and do things right the first time, but if there's a different way to go about getting an enjoyable boat and motor, then that's definately worth looking into. It's good to get some feedback from the East Coast contingency as well. I lived out in Northern Va and New Hampshire for 3 years apiece - Lake Winapasaki in NH has some very impressive Fountain V's floating around.

Doin' Time
    ive read on the motor perhaps the kk is talking about..its a 572.klown is this the motor you speak of?ive read and seen the way they assemble them at gm on television,it does look like a nicely put together piece.....

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast