Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: SGettman Motor Thread...

Klass Klown
    D.T yes the 572 is the motor in question, Now getting back to your short block give Scott Schaffirroff a call you can get a completely assembled 540 with all aftermarket parts for far less than 10k I would even phone reher Morrison in texas and ask for wes they can do it for less than 10 as well.. And these guy's are well known engine builders obviously!!!! :boxed:

superdave013
    Hey KK, do you think one of those crate 572 deals could run flat out for a 60+ mile endurance race and live? And if so would it keep up with the guy who has the 1,100+ hp turbo deal?

Riverkid
    Hey KK, do you think one of those crate 572 deals could run flat out for a 60+ mile endurance race and live? And if so would it keep up with the guy who has the 1,100+ hp turbo deal?
    Mind Reader!

Klass Klown
    S.D do you honestly think it is impossible???? Rudy Ramos way back in the day built a marathon boat using all steel as rigging metal-- as a matter of fact the seat was off an old tractor which had spring's in it-- Anyway everyone laughed about how heavy and slow that rayson craft was Well guess what he won!! I was a youngster but never the less nothing is impossible in racing!!!!!!!!!!! And I never compared a 572 crate motor to a turbo'd motor I just dont agree with the cost to build one as I have built many!!!!! $40-50k I dont think so.................. :rollside: :boxed:

Klass Klown
    Maybe you could install a block heater for your winter storage, might be an inexpensive fix ?
    Question for the Klown, with your vast engine experience, would you agree or disagree that building an endurance racing engine is different than building a quarter mile racing engine ??
    Well with your obvious arrogance, need I answer this question for you?? In other word's if you gotta ask ---well you know..... :idea:

Klass Klown
    Klown, point I was trying to make is, there is a big difference, you seem to come from the 1/4 mile world, only needs to last 10 sec a pass, where as the ski racers who need thier engines to last 1hr or more at w.o.t. and under varying water conditions. I don't think a crate 572, either one that gm makes was designed to be an endurance race motor, more of a 1/4 miler, given the specs.
    p.s. I love to see you pit your best built turbo motor against a Carson Brummett built turbo motor in the ski race world................
    My freind Read the post, I never quuestioned the reliability of a turbo'd motor nor power.. I was replying to mr. Gettmann's comment in regard's to pep boy's Crate motors, simply stating G.M sell's one for 12 k.....And who say's I am refering to 1/4 mile motor's, Listen where I live here in Virginia this is Nascar country and there are several builder's (of whom I am colleagues with) of Nascar motors, Busch etc. So dont question my knowledge of an endurance motor.. You all act as if Boat motor's are something special, Try 3-5 hrs at 9k over the course of 250 -500 miles. I will say the G.M crate motor at 4500-5600 r.p.m would last several races no problem!!!!!!!!!!!1 :boxed:

Klass Klown
    Klown, I thought all the NASCAR Teams were in N.C., at least thats where I have been to all the big teams shops, RCR, RYR, Woods Bros, Hendricks, Roush, DEI, Waltrip Racing, MB2, Petty, I don't know of too many in your state? Just bustin yer chops !!!!!!!! Just because you have V.I.R. don't get all excited now...................
    Who said anything about teams I am talking shop's They are spread out all over my freind. Not to mention sprint's or outlaw's..Say what you will it is irrelevant just keep on payin$$$$$$$$$$$$ For your motor's ...... :rollside:

superdave013
    Try 3-5 hrs at 9k over the course of 250 -500 miles.
    that's just what I need. I need it for a 300 mile race coming up in October. I would like to stay in the 510" normally aspratied (sp) class. Last time on the 48th mile I got hot oil puked on me and was done.
    I could prolly gear it so it would run in the 7,500 range flat out and don't expect us to lift off the throttle. So how much power for how much $$ is the question. Oh, it has to run on gas, no alky. Any type of race fuel is fine to me.

Doin' Time
    Klown, point I was trying to make is, there is a big difference, you seem to come from the 1/4 mile world, only needs to last 10 sec a pass, where as the ski racers who need thier engines to last 1hr or more at w.o.t. and under varying water conditions. I don't think a crate 572, either one that gm makes was designed to be an endurance race motor, more of a 1/4 miler, given the specs.
    p.s. I love to see you pit your best built turbo motor against a Carson Brummett built turbo motor in the ski race world................
    i think duttweiller is one of the best...but thats my opinion....and i dont thnik there is much of a difference in building a endurance motor or 1/4 mile motor...they should both be built right the first time...they both should last!. :rollside: ......im curious,what rpm do the ski racer boats turn,while racing?

SGettmann
    i think duttweiller is one of the best...but thats my opinion....and i dont thnik there is much of a difference in building a endurance motor or 1/4 mile motor...they should both be built right the first time...they both should last!. :rollside: ......im curious,what rpm do the ski racer boats turn,while racing?
    I'm not super experienced at this, but my dad's naturally aspirated 482 BBC used to sit at 6-7K rpm, which was pretty high for a BBC. Turbo motors turn less, guessing 5K RPM from my own experience. Depends on water conditions and good the skier is.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast