Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: SGettman Motor Thread...

SGettmann
    yeah, 50K is too damn much for just a moto.
    Once upon a time you could a bought a whole race boat for that. :wink:
    Rex et al - I just went off the website on various builders for list Turbo motors. Looks like I need to do more homework on pricing.
    Waiting for estimate on motor work. Seeing Riverkid's photos, I just want my boat working and summer time to be here. I'm ready for the snow to melt.

Klass Klown
    HP, so let me get this straight,since you spend so much time researching the cost to build one of these one of a kind marine motors,lets take it one step further, itemize the cost; A) parts B)machining C) assembly labor, and tell me which one in your opinion would be the largest of the three? almost forgot,include the last name of the engine builder as this will vary! just remember a merlin block is a merlin block!! a billet crank is a billet crank!!! carillo rods are carillo rods!!

Doin' Time
    HP, so let me get this straight,since you spend so much time researching the cost to build one of these one of a kind marine motors,lets take it one step further, itemize the cost; A) parts B)machining C) assembly labor, and tell me which one in your opinion would be the largest of the three? almost forgot,include the last name of the engine builder as this will vary! just remember a merlin block is a merlin block!! a billet crank is a billet crank!!! carillo rods are carillo rods!!
    kk...get real.... most people go where the big name is......i havent heard one person give duttweiller respect on here........hey to some people its all about good anodized fittings and funky little brackets...kk,that all adds up to 60k.....60k aint nothing to some..and to virginians it might be more....so go to the top sprint car motor dude!!

superdave013
    I would say for him the off the shelf water jacketed turbo system (and the labor of a proud engine builder are the biggies).
    I could not see spending the coin so I fabbed up my own turbo deal. Still have over 3k in it with the used CMI headers, new turbos and wastegates and home brew intercooler set up (with a J540 core).
    For me off the top of my head,
    Merlin tall deck, Valsco billet 4.5" crank, Carrillo rods (gun drilled to oil the wrist pins), JE pistons, Dart 360 heads (I had those already) were some of the larger expenses.

superdave013
    your rods and crank were alot less then mine. But I didn't use a #3 cnc block so the end is about the same.
    I think you are way low on the turbo system price if you are basing it on a complete water jacketed top shelf unit.

Schiada76
    kk...get real.... most people go where the big name is......i havent heard one person give duttweiller respect on here........hey to some people its all about good anodized fittings and funky little brackets...kk,that all adds up to 60k.....60k aint nothing to some..and to virginians it might be more....so go to the top sprint car motor dude!!
    "I just got a phone call from Duttweilers.
    My buddy is thrashing a small block to 500HP on mild boost from a mini blower (he's in charge of R&D at Magnuson) he was just going to get some smaller pullies and call me back.
    From what little I know, Kenny is one of the best nation wide. Some amazing numbers come off his dyno (REAL #'s). "
    DUTTWEILLER!!!...MY BUDDY GOT A 400 SMALL BLOCK..STOCK 509 BLOCK ,fast efi,WITH TWIN TURBO'S AND HE RUNS 7.00 211MPH IN THE QUARTER AND NEVER PUTS A WRENCH ON IT!!!....well sometimes,lol....but if it blows im sure it going to blow up good!!!
    You're right there's not one nod to Duttweiler, there's two.

Doin' Time
    "I just got a phone call from Duttweilers.
    My buddy is thrashing a small block to 500HP on mild boost from a mini blower (he's in charge of R&D at Magnuson) he was just going to get some smaller pullies and call me back.
    From what little I know, Kenny is one of the best nation wide. Some amazing numbers come off his dyno (REAL #'s). "
    DUTTWEILLER!!!...MY BUDDY GOT A 400 SMALL BLOCK..STOCK 509 BLOCK ,fast efi,WITH TWIN TURBO'S AND HE RUNS 7.00 211MPH IN THE QUARTER AND NEVER PUTS A WRENCH ON IT!!!....well sometimes,lol....but if it blows im sure it going to blow up good!!!
    You're right there's not one nod to Duttweiler, there's two.
    You are right!....

schiada96
    Most super charged engines should be locked out just my .02 I would ask around about this.
    Very nice except for the egg beater in the back ground
    why would you need a clamp on trolling motor in addition to a twin turbo bbc

Schiada76
    Fuel economy.

Rattle Can Lou
    A friend of mine just bought a "tour legal" 358 Nascar engine. These are 9-1 compression motors and run in the lower divisions of Nascar. This motor runs a 390 Holley carb and puts our about 560 hp. The motor comes complete from pan to carb including the 5 stage oil pump and all of the plumbing. Cost was 38,000 dollars. Scary considering what you could build horsepower wise with 38,000 dollars. This is what these motors cost whether you are buying on the east coast or the west coast. 37 lb cranks and 10,000.00 heads...It's crazy.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast