Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: SGettman Motor Thread...

dmontzsta
    A friend of mine just bought a "tour legal" 358 Nascar engine. These are 9-1 compression motors and run in the lower divisions of Nascar. This motor runs a 390 Holley carb and puts our about 560 hp. The motor comes complete from pan to carb including the 5 stage oil pump and all of the plumbing. Cost was 38,000 dollars. Scary considering what you could build horsepower wise with 38,000 dollars. This is what these motors cost whether you are buying on the east coast or the west coast. 37 lb cranks and 10,000.00 heads...It's crazy.
    Its tricky, you could have an engine builder build a 500 inch motor for that price. BUT, it would not be as cool as saying "I have a 358 Nascar motor".

Klass Klown
    Klown, here is what I come up with for your info.......lets say were gonna build a 572 bbc, aspirated, just as a baseline:
    Merlin III CNC'd Block=3500.00
    Callies Crank=1800.00
    Manley Rods=700.00
    Aluminum Heads/Inconel Exhaust/Stainless Intake/Springs=4000.00
    Pistons=700.00
    Intake=350.00
    1050 carb=800.00
    Oil Pan=800.00
    Cam/Lifters=450.00
    Gaskets=250.00
    MSD System=650.00
    Exhaust system=1000.00-3000.00
    misc engine stuff=300.00
    Machining/ Balancing=1000.00-2000.00
    Final ASSY/ Dyno Time=1000.00-2500.00
    Now add a Blower/Turbo with Intercooler=6000.00
    add Dry sump Oil system=2500.00
    add EFI for Turbo=2k-4k
    add plumbing for Turbo or Blower=500.00-1000.00
    Engine builders time and expertise=priceless !!!!
    Now you are catching on :boxed: We still have appx 20,000 to play with and we evn get an exhaust system. Where is the other 10k-20k going?? My point, these guys are charging 50 k for this motor even 40k that is ridiculous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rollside: :rollside:

MKEELINE
    If the market will bear it, then it's not ridiculous. There is a cost associated with having someone build and assemble a motor. It seems to me that there's no shortage of people lining up to buy these high dollar motors. It seems that some guys experience is more expensive than others.
    If someone doesn't have the ability or the time, then they better have the money.

Klass Klown
    If the market will bear it, then it's not ridiculous. There is a cost associated with having someone build and assemble a motor. It seems to me that there's no shortage of people lining up to buy these high dollar motors. It seems that some guys experience is more expensive than others.
    If someone doesn't have the ability or the time, then they better have the money.
    If the market will bear it, good point, goes to show capatalism at it's best! In all seriousness I hope some people get the point , in summarizing this, One could build a turbo race motor for far less than 40k. And A blown alky motor for even less as well!!!! Mr. Gettman with the parts you have, (assuming they are salvageable) your motor should cost NO MORE THAN 10K to be thouroghly gone through. And I completely disagree with your builder's assesment of your cylinder heads, For your application your's are fine... ADIOS----- JET BOATS RULE :idea: :rollside:

wsuwrhr
    clown,
    Just some friendly advise, stay out of professional motorsports.
    50 large isn't all that much when you start talking about the tech that goes into professional racing engines.
    Whether or not it is reasonable or outrageous to you or even someone else, changes nothing except the fact of, if you want to play, you gotta pay.
    I can tell you that kind of money is spent on watercraft and ATV engine DEVELOPMENT by OEMs. I am not talking a big money types like Rousch/RCR/Nascar teams, TFD/TAD Drag racing teams, INDY engine manufactures, or even the big three, hell even the Japanese car makers for that matter.
    I am talking about stupid motorcycles and jetskis. Development of Single/twin/triple cylinder, 2/4 stroke engines, cylinder/head porting, expansion chamber/exhausts, the amounts are staggering, but the money is there, and it is very real. Sometimes the custumer even SUPPLIES the base
    engine components and may only get a few engines for the dollar figure.
    50 large is cheap when it crosses the finish line out in front. IMHO.
    Brian

SGettmann
    If the market will bear it, good point, goes to show capatalism at it's best! In all seriousness I hope some people get the point , in summarizing this, One could build a turbo race motor for far less than 40k. And A blown alky motor for even less as well!!!! Mr. Gettman with the parts you have, (assuming they are salvageable) your motor should cost NO MORE THAN 10K to be thouroghly gone through. And I completely disagree with your builder's assesment of your cylinder heads, For your application your's are fine... ADIOS----- JET BOATS RULE :idea: :rollside:
    Hi KK. Thanks again for you input and having me question pricing. I am looking into options to try to get to the sub 10K price point. I know that I can spend well over 20K and have all the tricked out stuff, but I'm financially not in that playing field at this time. In addition, I have to honestly look at what I want to use my boat for. I'm not speed ski racing at the upper end. I do want to go out and be pulled around 4K to 4500 on my racing ski. Based on these requirments, I may not need all the trick Linati Crank and tricked out billet stuff that costs the big dollars. I'm considering my options, but definately keeping in mind that under 10K to rebuild my motor would be a good and realistic goal to have.
    I have a quote, but I'm in a stage of reality in deciding what I'm doing, and putting boundaries on what I am comfortable spending. I definately want to have money to take my girlfriend to dinner. This is more important than a tricked out motor to me. So, looking at options will continue.
    Thank you all for the added input. The forums definately kicks ass and is a great way to get information from around the country. In Moscow Idaho - there's not to many performance engine buffs to bounce ideas off of.

Klass Klown
    [QUOTE=wsuwrhr]clown,
    Just some friendly advise, stay out of professional motorsports.
    50 large isn't all that much when you start talking about the tech that goes into professional racing engines.
    Ya know if someone told me that years ago I would be 900k large now! Let me give you some freindly ADVICE stay out of the sandbar Topless is killin ya!!
    And 50k is is a hell of alot of money, when 98% of a well built motor are the $$$$ spent on good quality part's.. Maybe you should stay out of motor sport's you clearly cannot comprehend!! Now get back to the sandbar and bow down!!!! :rollside:

MKEELINE
    Klass Klown,
    So, if i brought you all the quality parts, what would you charge or consider a fair price to assemble an engine? Let's say a twin turbo motor, all plumbed and ready to go. Just courious.

Doin' Time
    let the people that build and sell performance parts do the research....not the individual buyer.,,anybody that pays the builder to do research is a plain "tard.........50k for a motor..ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..i got a bridge to sell over some swamp land.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456