Thread: vinyl???

mickeyfinn
    I'm workin on getting my boat back on the water. Was going to spray a fresh coat on it but I've decided that it is time to get it wet and will worry about it getting painted later. I talked with a local sign guy who makes graphics for boats. He claims to be able to make vinyl look good and last. He says it comes with a 5 year warranty. Anyone else had much experience with this or is it just going to look like a ragged sticker before the end of the season? Some of what I am considering will be halfway under the water line of the boat so it will take a beating.

126driver
    I don't know, vinyl stickers look to me like, well, stickers. I've seen a few boats done with vinyl graphics and they just aren't for me. Just get one for the deck that says "Under Construction" get the boat wet and have fun with it, and paint it next winter. My .01

DUCKY
    Several manufacturers have been using vinyl graphics for years, and they are about as tough as paint. As long as you don't ram it into the docks too much, they should look good for a long time. But You have to ask yourself, vinyl graphics on a flat bottom? This is the world of one off custom boats, not standard production. If you are cool with it, go ahead, but beware, some laughter may emanate from the rest of the v-drive community....

126driver
    DUCKY:
    but beware, some laughter may emanate from the rest of the v-drive community.... Naw, that would never happen.
    Would it? jawdrop