Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mag/Dist Ques.?

Fiat48
    When you try to run a spacer (and it usually turns out about .375 is what you need)....and you slip that under the original collar...you now have problems clamping the mag down due to the new height.
    So most guys machine off the original collar on a lathe and then make a new collar with set screws to lock it in the new position on the mag base.
    It would be real nice if that MSD collar is the right ID but I doubt it is.

GofastRacer
    When you try to run a spacer (and it usually turns out about .375 is what you need)....and you slip that under the original collar...you now have problems clamping the mag down due to the new height.
    So most guys machine off the original collar on a lathe and then make a new collar with set screws to lock it in the new position on the mag base.
    It would be real nice if that MSD collar is the right ID but I doubt it is.
    A friend of mine back in the day made a clamp out of chrome moly steel for that and used a stud, it was the shit the mag wouldn't move if your life depended on it, I told him to market it he'd a made a bundle on it, but the dumb shit didn't want to be bothered with it!..Oh well!..

pebo
    Now this is getting complicated, anybody want to trade a tall deck mag for a reg one?

obnoxious001
    I have a Vertex with a set screw collar for it,, but no current need for a short deck mag. I like the idea of the adjustable collar so you can adjust for maximum oil pump engagement without bottoming it out and binding the pump.

IMPATIENT 1
    good thread! i'm goin thru the same issue with my vertex mag. whoever built the mill , had @6 dist. gaskets shimming it up but the gear had alittle more wear than i'd like see with only 6hrs on it.i called john deere dealership today and ordered some large hardened washers from .34 - .38, i'll stick which ever one is the rite thickiness in the lathe and make it.
    if you guys ever need a specific thickness in a shim, call you j.deere dealerships parts dept., the can get you about any thickness you'll need, just may have to machine em.i had some issues with v/spring shims last season and wanted to run longer valves but couldn't find springs with the rite seat and opening pressures. i figured out what size shim i needed and went to jd parts dept. and they got me the EXACT thickness i needed, just had to machine em alittle to get rite id & od, but they were some hard bastards!!dulled a couple bits makin 16 shims.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12