Thread: Removing carpet glue???

jet4fun
    just wondering what is the best method for removing the carpet glue and residue left over after i remove the carpet? i seem to remember a thread a while ago talking about this and i couldnt find it. thanks, robert

YeLLowBoaT
    Paint thinner and a putty knife works pretty good. So does a a toruch and a putty knife.

Paint thinner and a putty knife works pretty good. So does a a toruch and a putty knife.
    Please do not combine this method! now that being said, camping fuel works well, for removing glue and and residew.
    Sleek

YeLLowBoaT
    I would hope that would go with out saying...Gas also works well. Any partoleum based solvent will work.

I would hope that would go with out saying...Gas also works well. Any partoleum based solvent will work.
    you heard about the guy, that vacuumed the gas out of his boat, after the tank had ruptured?

sanger rat
    Paint stripper made for fiberglass. Leave it on just long enuff to release the glue and rinse off.

victorfb
    dont chance useing chemicals. get an angle grinder with a good wire wheel and it will come off real easy. a little messy, and by all means wear a resperator, and face shield (or goggles), but it comes off without hurting the glass and its much safer. cheap wire wheels will start throwing the wire as soon as you start the grinder, so do invest in a good wheel. let the wheel do the work, meaning dont use force. youll get the feel real quik. afterwards use a vacume to clean it all out and your good to go.

Squirtin Thunder
    just wondering what is the best method for removing the carpet glue and residue left over after i remove the carpet? i seem to remember a thread a while ago talking about this and i couldnt find it. thanks, robert
    What is real nice to use is Acetone. I will not penitrate the glass being it evaporates quick. It is also the thinning agent for the glue. There are alot of ways to do this job. I choose to use Acetone being it does not harm the glass and there is no scuffing. But when done you can polish the floor and not use any carpet if the floor was flowcoated. I also use plastic/nylon scrapers as to not scratch the glass. To do this right all protective gear must be worn and take your time.
    Have fun
    Jim

Jeanyus
    I used a pressure washer, I soldered a hose bib into my hot water system in the house, making it a steam cleaner, it took several hours to get it all off, but I got every speck of glue, grease and anthing else that was inside my boat.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data/500/5859b2.jpg

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    What is real nice to use is Acetone. I will not penitrate the glass being it evaporates quick. It is also the thinning agent for the glue. There are alot of ways to do this job. I choose to use Acetone being it does not harm the glass and there is no scuffing. But when done you can polish the floor and not use any carpet if the floor was flowcoated. I also use plastic/nylon scrapers as to not scratch the glass. To do this right all protective gear must be worn and take your time.
    Have fun
    Jim
    Thats how I did it!!!!!