Thread: its a plane

76biesmeyer
    I have a 1976 biesmeyer spent a ton of $$$$ .to build. It has a new dan olson wing, by the way is a first class wing!!! Does it really help.

WILDERTHANU54
    I WOULD'NT THINK SO, NOT ON A BIESMEYER.
    GEOFF
    [ August 15, 2002, 05:35 PM: Message edited by: WILDERTHANU54 ]

76 sanger hydro
    no a wing is good for 1/4 mile but for a lake boat no cause wind changes alot causing lift and drag on bow besides it looks like a big tanning bed if you like i got a buddy with a wing with mounts for sale mounts on engine set up for bbc

FlatRacer
    The only wings I've ever seen on Biesemeyers were back in the early '80s when K-Boat racers were trying to keep the asses of their boats in the water. At around 150 mph or so, the boat tries to plane on the strut barrel and rise out of the water like a hydroplane. That's ok if you've got two sponsons up front to establish a stable 3 point stance, but on a flat bottom, all you have up front is the breast of the bow, so the boat rocks from side to side on the breast. Not a fun ride. So early on, they tried using wings to plant the ass back down. I don't know why they were abandoned, but I haven't seen them on K-boats since then. I suppose they had better success with increasing the rocker of the bottoms and adding longer cavitation plates to suck the boats to the water.
    Eric

CircleJerk
    FlatRacer:
    The only wings I've ever seen on Biesemeyers were back in the early '80s when K-Boat racers were trying to keep the asses of their boats in the water. At around 150 mph or so, the boat tries to plane on the strut barrel and rise out of the water like a hydroplane. That's ok if you've got two sponsons up front to establish a stable 3 point stance, but on a flat bottom, all you have up front is the breast of the bow, so the boat rocks from side to side on the breast. Not a fun ride. So early on, they tried using wings to plant the ass back down. I don't know why they were abandoned, but I haven't seen them on K-boats since then. I suppose they had better success with increasing the rocker of the bottoms and adding longer cavitation plates to suck the boats to the water.
    EricThanks Eric, You are a wealth of knowledge. My cav plates are the longest I've seen at 11 inches with the motor at 25 in and v at 75 in I can not figure out how they expected the hull to keep from being airborne all the time! I just added a quarter inch of down to the pedal so I now have 5/8 in travel. You have opened my eyes as to the thinking that went into my Barron. This winter I guess I'll have to move stuff forward as I am reaching for the sky unless the pedal is pushed all the time! Did you have to do this? Maybe I am used to the clutch pedal in the old dragster! Jerk eek!

LeE ss13
    The critical measurement is the distance from the back of the prop to the end of the cavatation plate. 28' to 29" is best for a Super Stock motor. (unblown single carburetor) I had the same problem with the first Biesemeyer I bought. It was an old K-Boat with a 11 inch plate. I couldn't keep it down. I shortened the distance down to 28" and it road fine. My present Biesemeyer has a 7" plate on it. For an 11" plate you would need to make 1200 hp to ride right.
    --------
    LeE ss13