Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: BBQ Turkey on a Weber

Her454
    Heading to Pismo the weekend before Turkey Day and I always cook my Turkeys in the Barrel but don't want to haul it down there this year so Im going to do in on the weber. I've seen it done before but can't remember how they did it. Anyone ever cook one like that and how do you do it?

Lightning
    indirect heat, with a drip pan in between the coals.... Put coal on edges of weber and turkey in the middle. We cooked a 12lb pork shoulder, it took 2 hours that way.

RiverDave
    indirect heat, with a drip pan in between the coals.... Put coal on edges of weber and turkey in the middle. We cooked a 12lb pork shoulder, it took 2 hours that way.
    Pork Shoulder (aka pork butt) should take alot longer then 2 hours? Even if you foil it to speed up the cook time it's going to take 5 - 6 hours. I think it's an 1.5 hours per pound at BBQ temps?
    RD

clownpuncher
    Correct-a-mundo. 'Cept a larger turkey will take longer than 2 hours. A good brine session (12 hours) doesn't hurt either. Keep the coals going by adding a couple here and there throughout the process. Keep the dang lid on, no unneccesary peek-a-booing. Take a meat thermometer and pull the turkey off the grill at 165-170 degrees. Let it sit for about fifteen minutes before cutting into it.
    Good luck.
    ROC

clownpuncher
    One more thing. Don't forget about the vents, top and bottom. Oh, it usually takes me about a 12 pack to BBQ a nice bird

lucky
    just get drunk and buuuuuuuurrrrrnn it - then go to safeway :buy some steaks

Her454
    Correct-a-mundo. 'Cept a larger turkey will take longer than 2 hours. A good brine session (12 hours) doesn't hurt either. Keep the coals going by adding a couple here and there throughout the process. Keep the dang lid on, no unneccesary peek-a-booing. Take a meat thermometer and pull the turkey off the grill at 165-170 degrees. Let it sit for about fifteen minutes before cutting into it.
    Good luck.
    ROC
    Thanks, I was planning on a 15lb Turkey......... and just letting it go all day while were out riding...... or until its done so I dont do what Lucky suggested LOL.
    just get drunk and buuuuuuuurrrrrnn it - then go to safeway :buy some steaks
    DONT even say that out loud............................ :cry:

AZKC
    Need to get ahold of that Moofer RiverCook Dave, I'm sure he'd know

Her454
    Need to get ahold of that Moofer RiverCook Dave, I'm sure he'd know
    I dont think his talent stretch's outside the realm of the river. :rollside:

Biglue
    Stoneman on the forums is an excellent grillman. Perhaps he would have some tips for you H454. He's not a bad cook either and makes one hell of a margarita. :rollside:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast