Thread: Oil temp question

Lavey29
    Hey everyone, question for the group. I run a blown 540 EFI motor at 3 psi boost set up for 720hp. I use synthetic oil changed every 20 hours. There is an oil cooler and oil temp/bypass control sensor as part of the set up on the motor. Last trip out, I was having problems with my oil temp gauge. Just kept flicking back and forth in the gauge like a minor short or ground problem. Half way through the day on the water, the gauge seemed to be flicking more towards the high (hot) end. It is set up to register 140-320 degrees. I am wondering if my oil was getting to hot for some reason. I checked the oil and it still had a good color to it not dark and burned looking. If the oil did get to hot do you think any internal damage was done to the motor. It uses an 11 quart pan. What would cause the oil temp to go up very high? The oild pressure was always steady and in the normal range and it was not low any oil in the pan. Any suggestions???

Daytona100
    Probably a sender. I had an electrical fuel pressure gauge do the same thing. Hook up an manual gauge and see what the readings are. Good lucl.

If it's flicking back and forth it's likely a wire connection problem, sender or gauge problem, not the oil temp. Oil temp doesn't flick back and forth quickly.

Lavey29
    thanks guys,,,I was pretty sure that it was electrical/sender problem for the gauge but how do you know if your oil is running to hot without the gauge working properly? Does oil overheat like water temp also? As long as you have good pressure then temp should not be a problem? Mine looked to be decent color not real black or dirty looking.

One sure sign of oil overheating is pressure drop when running and then the return of pressure when idling (normal fluctuation but much more pronounced with overheated oil as a rule). If you're not seeing it drop below where it normally runs I'd be looking for gauge / connection / ground issues.

Lavey29
    Thanks Rex,,,,this is why I buy all my stuff I need from your shop,,,always helpful and great service people...

Happy to help when I can Lavey and thank you!