Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Intalling gas tank brackets

Well I got the tanks out and I am now ready to install the new brackets. I am thinking there might be a better way to install these brackets any ideas? I have seen others use stringer washers under the hull but I thought that might be a bit over kill.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...rough_Bolt.JPG
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...676Bracket.jpg

Greaser
    Something about drilling holes in the bottom of my Southwind is a lil unnerving.

Something about drilling holes in the bottom of my Southwind is a lil unnerving.
    Dang! shave those screw heads down a little Then Brooski will never catch you
    Sleek

Dang! shave those screw heads down a little Then Brooski will never catch you
    Sleek
    Brooski has to catch Dan first. :argue:

Brooski
    Brooski has to catch Dan first. :argue:
    You suck! lol
    I was never behind Dan, so I dont need to catch up. Plus I always have Coors Light in my boat, so Dan will NEVER pass me......

BTW BAR SUX

78Southwind, in my boat their was a peice of plywood that was glassed to the sides that the tanks mounted to. This way they didnt have to drill through the bottom. It worked great for 15+ years while my parents owned and used the boat (probably longer since somebody used it like that before). I ripped out the old wood and plan on reglassing new wood in. Here's a old pic of the old wood that was glassed in, dont be tricked by glass that looks to be comming off, those ****ers were hell to get out, no way the tanks where going to pull that off... I had a post about this same thing on here a while back, a lot of mixed emotions on this board about it, guess it comes down to doing what you feel works best.
    http://reitanfamily.com/gallery/d/6737-2/IM001248.jpg

Shaun
    That looks like a good idea however, the holes were already drilled through the hull from Southwind. I just wanted ideas about the bolts and washers. I have seen some that have used stringer washers but I thought that might be a little over kill. I will probably just use what I have because it worked for the last 27 years.

Brooski
    Shaun
    That looks like a good idea however, the holes were already drilled through the hull from Southwind. I just wanted ideas about the bolts and washers. I have seen some that have used stringer washers but I thought that might be a little over kill. I will probably just use what I have because it worked for the last 27 years.
    What are you, the Jerry Brown of boating? Can you imagine where we would be today if everyone had that attitude. It has worked good for 27 years, so why change it. Think NEW AND IMPROVED.
    Just messing with ya, Jer. Even though you still look good in your leisure suit.

Roger
    Since you have your engine out you might want to check your bolts too. Most of the silicone was disolved on mine causing the brackets to rust pretty bad. You also might want to check the lifting strakes that are about 10" just outside of your stringers.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...erGrinding.JPG

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast