Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dart or Merlin block??

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Im just gathering pricing and was curious to know what the difference is between dart or merlin BBC blocks. I can buy a merlin block(brand new) 4.490 bore for $1700 from my work. The dart is a couple more hundy.

steelcomp
    Dart...you'll save the couple hundy on not having to re-machine anything.

GofastRacer
    I just got a Dart block $1995 shipped!.. There is machining to do though!..

fc-pilot
    Every Dart we have purchased still needed machining before we could assemble it. I have not purchased a brand new Merlin so I can't tell you what all they might take to have them ready to assemble.
    Paul

WannabeRacing
    Merlin pro or Merlin3?
    The Darts are a good solid block. I have yet to see one to my door that did not need machining. (Out of only five blocks.) The last one was 3 thou tight on the rear main. The other mains were within a half a thou, but the rear was garbage. Fixed it and it just went in the 7's two weekends ago.
    They need tons of prepwork for little things like re-tapping threads and cleaning up water jackets. No matter what you get, check everything.
    I would put Dart and Merlin3 so close in features and quality for what you are going to run, it would be a wash in my eyes. And $200 bones saved is a really good deal.
    If you were building something destructive, I would go with the Merlin pro. They are heads and shoulders above the Dart. But for your deal, it would be overkill.

Infomaniac
    The Dart block is a bit harder. You can tell by the way it machines.
    I run the Merlin III most of the time. Just run billet caps when the HP exceeds blown pump gas levels.
    The merlin block is a little less expensive to run the extra head bolts.

Robbie Racer
    Not to hijack the thread, but I have a Merlin Pro tall deck block for sale. It is in excellent condition, machined with piston oilers, roller cam bearings for 55mm cam and large lifter bores. The down side is that it is on it's last bore size of 4.629" (after last clean up bore). Available with a Stef's 14 quart wet sump pan and Titan oil pump. All for $1,500 plus shipping from Tucson, AZ. PM me for more details if interested. RR

freakdave
    Just a friendly FYI, i bought a brand new Dart Big M this year $1600 which included shipping from www.cobrapower.com They were a pleasure to deal with and shipping was to my door,not some freight dock. They had a surplus of 9.8 short deck blocks. Give em a call to see if they still have some.

fc-pilot
    That is a dang good deal Freakdave found. That may be worth looking into.
    Paul

Nucking futs
    If im going to blow over a grand for a block, I would go with a tall deck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast