Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hey, computer guru's & geeks

burtandnancy
    I was told today thats its better for the computer to leave it on all the time, don't turn it on/off many times per day. Same guy leaves his on 24/7, only turns off the monitor. As a comparative newby to computers, I don't know for sure. What is your opinion?

Cole Sanger
    I say leave it on if you can. I leave my home computer on all the time. My last couple of computers I turned on and off all the time and they ended up having power supply problems and motherboard problems. Not sure if the two are connected, but I have not had a problem in a couple of years with the new one.

YeLLowBoaT
    turn it off... it will save you more cash on power then the "wear and tear" of parts. also pcs don't like heat. the longer they are on the more heat they build up.( I don't care how many fans you put on them.)

Magic34
    From what I understand it is the getting hot and cooling off cycle that wears them down. I turn my on in the morning, it stays on all day, then I turn it off at night. It stays off for 6-8 hours at a time.
    Turning it off evey hour or 2 I think would be rough on it.

I run the machines here at work 24/7. A few have been running since late 90's. (yes old stuff). I set the drives to rest after a certain # on minutes though so they don't run 24/7.
    It is beneficial to reboot occassionally though but not necessary daily imo.
    Techlically not sure which way is better but I've had good luck letting them run.

DelawareDave
    I let mine run 24/7 also. I set it to blank screensaver, power down the harddrive and the monitor after 30 minutes.

The Jerk
    depends. if its a laptop i always see more issues arise after being on for more than 20 hours or so. the memory seems to build up and never disipate. my 8 year old desktop at home stays on most of the time. but by 3rd or 4th day it needs to be turned off and back on.... just depend son the machine i guess. but i agree with what was said earlier. turn on in the morning and turn off at night...

sorry dog
    Which is better...Ford or Chevy...

Sleek-Jet
    We've got computers here at work that haven't been off in years... I turn the computer that I use for work (hahahaha) and ***boat off over the weekend.
    Everything else is on a UPS and the only time they go off is when they break... which isn't often.
    I turn the Desktop at home off every couple of days. I used to shut it down all the time, but started having hard-drive problems after about a year. Since I've been leaving it on, no such problems have arisen..

shueman
    Desktops on, Laptops off.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast