Thread: Loader grate bolts ?

inwo
    It took all day to get 4 slotted bolts out of intake! From under boat of course. That makes it tough!
    I don't want to go thru that again.
    How does chrome hold up for fresh water marine use, in aluminum? I found some grade 8 chromed socket head (flat). This seems like the ticket for removal.
    Also found stainless socket head, flat head, which would seem the obvious choice. But the slotted ones I removed were stainless, and one twisted off.

steelcomp
    It took all day to get 4 slotted bolts out of intake! From under boat of course. That makes it tough!
    I don't want to go thru that again.
    How does chrome hold up for fresh water marine use, in aluminum? I found some grade 8 chromed socket head (flat). This seems like the ticket for removal.
    Also found stainless socket head, flat head, which would seem the obvious choice. But the slotted ones I removed were stainless, and one twisted off.In my opinion, chrome plated bolts are a big no way. I doubt they're grade 8, (not doubting you, doubting the bolt) and they'll rust just like any other steel bolt. Stainless is OK, but it's not very srtong. In racing, they won't allow stainless. My suggestion is a regular black oxide screw or bolt and use plenty of antisieze.

Tn_River_Ratt
    Use plenty of anti seize. I had the same thing happen to me. Use the socket head stainless, tap the holes and clean them out before ya put it back together.

jamessampica
    In my opinion, chrome plated bolts are a big no way. I doubt they're grade 8, (not doubting you, doubting the bolt) and they'll rust just like any other steel bolt. Stainless is OK, but it's not very srtong. In racing, they won't allow stainless. My suggestion is a regular black oxide screw or bolt and use plenty of antisieze.
    Steelcomp is 100% correct on this.
    BLACK OXIDE only and double nut them.Plus like was said alot of anti-seize.

inwo
    In my opinion, chrome plated bolts are a big no way. I doubt they're grade 8, (not doubting you, doubting the bolt) and they'll rust just like any other steel bolt. Stainless is OK, but it's not very srtong. In racing, they won't allow stainless. My suggestion is a regular black oxide screw or bolt and use plenty of antisieze.
    tnxs,
    Kind of what I was thinking. About the chrome.
    Didn't know about racing ban on stainless!
    Here's link to grade 8 chrome.
    http://www.boltdepot.com/product.asp...&cm=74&cd=1598

RICHARD TILL
    here`s another idea. drill all the way thru intake, use sealer and lock washers or locknuts. you`ll never have that problem again. just be sure you have clearence between the pan and the nuts.

Squirtin Thunder
    Steelcomp is 100% correct on this.
    BLACK OXIDE only and double nut them.Plus like was said alot of anti-seize.
    here`s another idea. drill all the way thru intake, use sealer and lock washers or locknuts. you`ll never have that problem again. just be sure you have clearence between the pan and the nuts.
    Working on these lines, make sure you buy a extra long bolt that has a shoulder that extends at least 98% into the new hole. This will help prevent premature breaking and wallowing out of your intake housing. Also make sure you use 5/16th bolts. You may have to buy a 4" bolt to do the job.