Thread: Even or Un-Even Cav Plates

Kindsvater Flat
    Ok hopefully this is a simple question.
    Why are some plates even and some not on runner bottom boats?
    Mine are even and not staggered.

pgf127rt
    Kindsvater Flat:
    Ok hopefully this is a simple question.
    Why are some plates even and some not on runner bottom boats?
    Mine are even and not staggered.

K Flat, the stagger is determined by the depth of the runner, most modern runners are in the 5/8 range, evidently your's comes to even at the plate, I just sold a Hondo that had a 1-7/8 difference and my TR-2 Cole had the 5/8 runner, My Canyon had the same. Your's is the first I have sen with a flush center plate, how does it handle?
    [ November 11, 2002, 04:46 AM: Message edited by: pgf127rt ]

Sangster
    Nice Can Crusher Mike...

Kindsvater Flat
    Thanks Sangster but I don't drink. It handles fairly well. I have a few issues with it but never a big deal. It turns good and rides fairly smooth. Tom Bently and Harold Kindsvater helped me with a few issues this summer. I would like to change from a 12% to 18% Since the boat is 99.9% a ski boat.

pgf127rt
    Kflat, Did Harold give you any info regarding the lack of a runner at the plate, also, as you go forward does the tunnel get more defined or is it basically nonexistent. I have never seen one but the TR-1 Cole, or some of them did, had a very slight runner, maybe as small as 1/4" and I have read where there were some with deeper runners.
    What does Tom have to say about it. Does it tend to porpoise or doink like a true flat?

Kindsvater Flat
    Ya I was talking to Harold today. He gave me some ideas on setting it up. The tunnels are just under an inch and run the length of the boat. The center plate is sets lower then the outside but is tapered upward to sit even with the outer plates. I talked to Tom about it but that was earlier in the summer. His ideas gave me almost 10 mph. It will slightly porpoise at speed.