Thread: Couple of 496 ?'s

Mach 1 2350
    I can get a Complete 496 ebgine from a friend minus the computer and accesories. The motor is a volvo penta 496 and I have a Merc 496 computer and i was wondering if they would be compatible since they are both AC Delco computers.
    Also what is involved in changing the rotation of an engine.
    Thanks for any help....

Havasu Carrera
    Are the bores not offset as well? IDONOOOOO!!
    You can get a left hand drive though!

SmokinLowriderSS
    The blocks should be the same. The cam is the only difference I think, and they are made. I believe most of the twin-engine prop boats out there use "handed" engines. Oh, new starter too.

Norseman
    I can get a Complete 496 ebgine from a friend minus the computer and accesories. The motor is a volvo penta 496 and I have a Merc 496 computer and i was wondering if they would be compatible since they are both AC Delco computers.
    Also what is involved in changing the rotation of an engine.
    Thanks for any help....
    Should be camshaft, timing set, starter and maybe flywheel.
    The distributor was the same for either rotation on the small blocks, I'm guessing it's the same on the BBC.

cfm
    Do you need to change rotation ?
    Just asking because most twin engine boats use same rotation engines since the drive's handle the rotation direction.
    Of course, many inboards don't have this capability and thus will need opposite rotation.

Moneypitt
    Cam, starter, AND THE OIL PUMP!!!!!.............MP

Havasu47
    Right and left hand drives are accomplished in the drive. Bravos run in reverse for LH and SSM's switch the gear location. Pre 496 there were reverse rotation engines for v-drive or direct drive applications. Merc has never offered a LH 496 and I have never heard of anyone else? I would say for sure but you never know...
    As far as the electronics go... probably will work. Fuel psi, injector size, throttle body size, camshaft, etc. would all have to be the same. Merc and Volvo both purchase from GM so PROBABLY will work.

LeE ss13
    I set up a LH rotating Chevy once. Starter of course had to be changed. The Camshaft was different but it turned in the Righthand direction same as the distributor so the oil pump would work. To do this the timimg chain was replaced with two gears so the crank turned Left and the Cam turned Right. The firing order was different. These were common Marine pieces back in the '70s for low RPMs. Problem was, for a Hot Rod application, it used to blow the timing gears out the timing cover at about 7000 RPM. Lots of fun though.