Thread: Cooling system

U.T.B.A.V-Drive man
    I have this Mercrusier motor (HP500 carberated) and I want to eliminate all of the rubber hoses and the circulating pump that is on the front of the motor. I am looking at crossover pipes in the CP Performance catalog. My question is 1- why does it need a thermostat. 2- why does it need a circulating pump. I want to plumb it with stainless hoses and get rid of some of the pulleys. I guess I need a pulley to drive the power steering and trim pump. If you have any ideas let me know. I hate hose and pulleys.

Konabud
    :idea: What kind of boat? what kind of drive? Is it fresh or raw water cooled?

U.T.B.A.V-Drive man
    :idea: What kind of boat? what kind of drive? Is it fresh or raw water cooled?
    28 foot warlock. XZ drive. Fresh water. does any of that make any differance? :rollside:

franky
    28 foot warlock. XZ drive. Fresh water. does any of that make any differance? :rollside:
    NO.
    But does it have the serpentine belt or individual v-belts?
    If V-belts, pull the circ pump and put on a crossover, re-plumb, that's it. If serp belt then you need the crossover with the idler pulley on it that CP sells (and I make), whala! The sea pump is all you need. Save HP, weight, plumbing stuff. Cleaner look.

U.T.B.A.V-Drive man
    It has V belts. Could I get rid of the belt driven sea pump and put on a cam driven pump, then drive the power steering and trim from the crank (harminic balancer). This is the way my V-Drive was plumbed. pick up through sea strainer through the pump, to oil cooler, to headers, to block then dumped. No thermostat, and it ran @ 175 + degrees. Am I the only Dummy that wanted to get rid of all of the belts and pulleys, COME ON SPEAK UP. :argue:

superdave013
    you mean like this? This is a set up that was in one of burtandnancy's old boats. All teflon lined stainless with stainless adapters. If you want to do it I can hook you up with those parts or the more cost effective Alum fittings and the stainless braided CPE hose.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...03scan0001.jpg

U.T.B.A.V-Drive man
    you mean like this? This is a set up that was in one of burtandnancy's old boats. All teflon lined stainless with stainless adapters. If you want to do it I can hook you up with those parts or the more cost effective Alum fittings and the stainless braided CPE hose.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...03scan0001.jpg
    Thanks Dave, I'll call you. I'm going to be in L A some time in Feb. :idea:

superdave013
    Give me a ring anytime. 714 223 9322
    If you want to go the full polished stinless route it's a special order type of deal as I do not stock all of that "yet". Oh, and you would need a pretty high credit card limit if you go that way also. lol But the good thing is 304 stainless and teflon lasts forever. A guy could do it up and when it's time to sell put the rubber back on and move the nice stuff to the new boat. Doing it in stainless hard line is another option.

zimm
    I hate hose and pulleys.
    Don't ask me for advice...