Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: California Performance?

Thats gonna leave a mark! :220v:
    Sleek
    a skid mark maybe.

sdba069
    Guys, I've owned and driven gullwings for more than 25 years and have never had any problems. I believe they have their limitations, but overall, very safe boats. You can probably pick any boat brand out of a hat and if you look hard enough, can find a picture or an instance where it may be in some kind of interesting position. I've had a few of these boats that were 100 MPH players and have a friend who has run one out here in the 9 second class for the last few years with much success and no handling issues. I still believe that a TX-19 is the best all around jet hull ever made. Plent of interior room, good handling characteristics, doesn't take monster HP to make them haul, and they look good.

CP'S ARE LIKE TAMPOONS EVERY PUSSY OWNS ONE
    So what kind of boat do you run?
    I agree, they are very popular, but thats for a reason, they work!!
    Heres an 18 that won the 8.50 bracket at the last NJBA race, its a full on river runner too.It ran 117 MPH in the heat of the day. Its going to run even better next season from what I hear.
    http://www2.***boat.com/image_center...Red_Dragon.jpg

LOWRIVER2
    Why not call Bill Scotten, owner of California Performance Boats yourself?
    702-523-4808
    Three hulls
    18 gullwing
    19 gullwing
    18 tunnel
    Any jet boat can be a challenge when the power cuts off. The tunnel is meant for racing (ie: track conditions) only. I would'nt drive a CP tunnel on the river without some seat time in other High HP jet boats first IMHO.
    A great hull to get on plane quick with less HP than a traditional tunnel requires, yada yada yada.
    Talk to some owners, go to an NJBA race at Ming in Bakersfield.
    Who won the MFG. cup in 05 for most of one type of boat? CP's won the title for something like 7 years, but then again, what do jet boat racers know/LOL!/ JK.

steelcomp
    I'll have to agree with Garry on this. The above pic was taken in the very early 80's when the school of thought was to fly the nose, to get the boat fast. This boat took off at 106, just after crossing the line (winning the race). It was later determined that the safety crew had crossed the track just before the run and there were still rollers on the course after the finish line. Not necessarily the design of the boat's fault. Now days boats don't have to carry the nose to be fast, and they're a lot safer that way. The gullwings are a little trickier in that they have a lot of frontal area to trap air, and no tunnels to let it out, but I think calling them unsafe is unreasonable.

sanger rat
    Oh goodie some drama to liven up the place. :argue:

steelcomp
    Oh goodie some drama to liven up the place. :argue: Sorry...haven't done that for a while.

maxwedge
    I like to start shit here, and I believe tampon only has one "O".
    How's that Steelcomp?

Anyone have any opinions on these hulls? I saw one at the river last year and it looked sweet! I dont think ive seen one on the forums yet though, any reason why?
    These are the quickest(not necessarily the fastest) hulls out there. I have owned 3 of them. 2 19' boats, and, currently an 18'(below). They are very stable at speed, HOWEVER, like anything else in the way of a new experience, allow some seat time for you to familiarize yourself with the boats handling characteristics before you really wring it out. If you get one, you won't be disappointed. RR
    I'm just a pawn in the game of life...........

IMPATIENT 1
    be carefull with the race hulls! my uncle has one and the hull weighs @300lbs..he was in a hard run(sbc@400hp plus a 150hp shot)and the hull split in half from the bow to the dash.the whole upper section of hull flew up and smacked him rite in the head!he still has an indention from the little button on top of his hat.we tore the hull down and found very little material from factory holding the two parts of hull together! he didn't buy it new so the hull may have been a "wake jumper" prior to his ownership.just be sure to check the hull well before purchase! :idea:

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast