Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Birdcatcher??

sifocalpoint
    Ok heres the question, my dad has a friend who has a complete birdcatcher setup on a holley tunnel ram. It was setup to run alcohol but the guy has a boat load of parts and said he will convert it to gas.
    Anyone run a naturally aspirated tunnel rammed gasoline bird catcher motor.
    He can get it cheap cause hes good friends with this guy and they hook each other up, but is there a great performance differance over a carb? Reliability? Idle, overall performance from idle to wot.
    The boat is not a race boat and will be a river rod for occasional blasts.
    Just needed some opinions

GofastRacer
    No problem running it on gas at all once setup forget about it, the difference is "NIGHT AND DAY"!.. Are you sure it's a Holley manifold??, usually the Edelbrock Victor Ram is used for that setup???..Got a pic???..

Wildchild80
    Ok heres the question, my dad has a friend who has a complete birdcatcher setup on a holley tunnel ram. It was setup to run alcohol but the guy has a boat load of parts and said he will convert it to gas.
    Anyone run a naturally aspirated tunnel rammed gasoline bird catcher motor.
    He can get it cheap cause hes good friends with this guy and they hook each other up, but is there a great performance differance over a carb? Reliability? Idle, overall performance from idle to wot.
    The boat is not a race boat and will be a river rod for occasional blasts.
    Just needed some opinions
    If you your carb setup is correct there should be no difference on the top end. Fuel injectors are pretty "touchy" as far as using the throttle. In most cases fuel injectors are made to run wide open. If you want good all around performance stick with the carbs, unless you want to pop for an "EFI" system

GofastRacer
    Ahh c'mon now Dave you know they can work smoothe from idle on up and a lot more reliable!..

Kurtis500
    Yes, I run one on a chevy, but its alcohol. The throttle response is second to none. I switched out 2 good running carbs for an injector and picked up 1.8 tenths with no other changes. So easy to change the mixture, just one pill change. Also, make sure the nozzels are plumbed into the manifold and are aiming down the runners. If the nozzels are way up in the hat it may be a different story...

GofastRacer
    Yes, I run one on a chevy, but its alcohol. The throttle response is second to none. I switched out 2 good running carbs for an injector and picked up 1.8 tenths with no other changes. So easy to change the mixture, just one pill change. Also, make sure the nozzels are plumbed into the manifold and are aiming down the runners. If the nozzels are way up in the hat it may be a different story...
    Yep, same with gas the window is narrower that's all no biggie!.. Nozzles in the hat on a tunnelram deal does not work period, they have to be down low on the manifold!..

Fiat48
    Be sure he puts the proper spool in the barrell valve or you will really chase your tail to make it run right. Call Endlerle for the right spool. Usually he has a number stamped on the end of the spool shaft for unblown deals.
    My memory says the number "12" but....how good is my memory?

sifocalpoint
    thanks guys, i apprecriate the responses. I dont currently have pics, but ill see iof the guy has any he can send me

scottys
    Go Steelers!

Kurtis500
    Be sure he puts the proper spool in the barrell valve or you will really chase your tail to make it run right. Call Endlerle for the right spool. Usually he has a number stamped on the end of the spool shaft for unblown deals.
    My memory says the number "12" but....how good is my memory?
    I forgot that part. I switched over a blown gas bird to the tunnel ram alcohol set-up and you HAVE to change the spool. The cut-out and the ramp are very different. Its a nominal amount of $, so dont let him skip that part.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast