Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The whole Shaq trade revisited.

dmontzsta
    So I was reading some stuff about it and I think this was one of the biggest moves in Lakers history and a GOOD one at that.
    Ok, so the Lakers traded Shaq for Lamar Odom, Caron Butler and Brian Grant.
    Here is where it stands today. Shaq is out 6-8 weeks with a major knee surgery, could be longer. He is averaging 14 points and 7 rebounds in 33 minutes of play. His health issues are probably going to force him to quit within 1-2 years MAX. His toe, now his knee all problems big men go through, especially a 7'1" 330+lb lazy one.
    Now the Lakers, they have held on to Odom who is shining through more and more and really trying to put chemistry together with Kobe. He is already averaging 19 points and 8.5 rebounds in 40 minutes. And he is only 27 years old.
    The Lakers have since traded Caron Butler for Kwame Brown. Kwame really helped them in the playoffs last year and has had a slow start this year with his shoulder surgery. He is averaging 7 points and 8 rebounds in only 20 minutes, he should be around 14 points and 8 rebounds once he heals a bit. And he is only 24 years old.
    The Lakers made a VERY smart move and let Brian Grant go, his contract is up this season and it frees the Lakers salary up alot, they can now go after another decent player to add to their roster.
    So...To sum it up, if the Lakers keep Shaq, they ran the risk of losing Kobe and have a lazy center for a few years. Or, they have Kobe and Shaq still, but no money left over for anyone else.
    Without Shaq they are a good team and will only get better. Now the Heat have Shaq for another year or two MAX and then whats next? they are already off to a 4-6 start while the Lakers are 8-3.
    Who really got the better end of that deal? and who is really thinking for the future?

syke-o
    i am with you on this one, except some would argue that shaq gave the heat a championship which some might say could have been the lakers if he stayed... i think it will work out for us more than the 1 championship we missed out on last year

dmontzsta
    i am with you on this one, except some would argue that shaq gave the heat a championship which some might say could have been the lakers if he stayed... i think it will work out for us more than the 1 championship we missed out on last year
    Yeah, they will...but! Wade and others pitched in, but Shaq being Shaq will probably take the credit as well. I swear all he has done this he left the Lakers is run his mouth off. The Lakers save LOTS of money without him and they are still in competition.

Ziggy
    Lakers Who?????

Roxysnow
    Keep on believing that! SHAQ another championship and another ring! Kobe....ooooppps missed the playoffs again!

acatitude
    yup all shaq did was go to miami and get another ring to stuff in kobes raping face and the heat will be in the mix again at the end, and the lakers, no way they can come out of the west with that team

acatitude
    Yeah, they will...but! Wade and others pitched in, but Shaq being Shaq will probably take the credit as well. I swear all he has done this he left the Lakers is run his mouth off. The Lakers save LOTS of money without him and they are still in competition.
    you crack me up. saved money and still in competition. lol its about rings Don, and Lakers have none since shaq left and none on the horizon, hell you didn't have enough confidence in them to take dilligafs bet last night, so quit shootin your mouth off now. :yuk:

purrfecttremor
    All I know is we averaged going to about 15 games a year and since that trade ZERO!!! I turn down tickets all the time and refuse to go. :cry:

BajaMike
    Keep on believing that! SHAQ another championship and another ring! Kobe....ooooppps missed the playoffs again!
    I agree with Roxy :idea: .....do the numbers.....
    1. How many games has Kobe won, how many games has Shaq won since the trade?
    2. How many playoff games have Kobe won, how many playoff games has Shaq one since the trade?
    3. How many chanpionships has the Lakers won, how many chanpionships have the Heat won since the trade??
    Read the numbers and weep :cry:
    Go Heat....go Shaq!
    :rollside:

dmontzsta
    I guess you guys really think Shaq's 15 points per game won the championship?
    Players like Wade, Payton, Mourning, Williams, Haslem, Kopono, Walker, Doleac a coach like Pat Riley had more to do with it than him, they could have probably done it without him, he just happened to land on a decent team.
    Guess what, that is probably Shaq's last championship, Kobe on the other hand, has around 10+ years to try for another one with an up and coming team.
    This thread is about the decision and it was clearly a smart one if you look at the stats. So you risk damaging your franchise for the next 10 years just for one ring? Shit, if Kobe, Payton, Malone and Shaq couldnt pull one, that should show you that the Heat did it by having a great team.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast