Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Right gears, Left gears

Fired Up
    I have several questions about Right hand gears vs Left hand gears. I'm asking here on the forums because its a good place for info. Also, there is probably somebody else out there who is just as naive as I am. When do you use RH vs LH gears? Aren't all props cut to rotate in one direction? How do you orient yourself to determine which way your drive rotates? Do you see which way the top gear turns from the engines point of view? Or do you see which way it turns looking from the front of the v-drive? Or is it the lower gear you look at? Lots to learn............

Sangster
    Fired Up:
    I have several questions about Right hand gears vs Left hand gears. I'm asking here on the forums because its a good place for info. Also, there is probably somebody else out there who is just as naive as I am. When do you use RH vs LH gears? Aren't all props cut to rotate in one direction? How do you orient yourself to determine which way your drive rotates? Do you see which way the top gear turns from the engines point of view? Or do you see which way it turns looking from the front of the v-drive? Or is it the lower gear you look at? Lots to learn............Fired Up, Some V-drives run off the front of the motor & "Most" run off the back like there supposed to....

GofastRacer
    I've run both types in mine and they work just fine, although I did get a little more whine when I ran the opposite??..BTW sangster, since when does a motor facing the wrong way, supposed to be the right way???...

superdave013
    If you drive off the flywheel you use LH gears. Off the balancer (roundy round style) you use RH.
    Some roundy guys us LH gears anyway. Donno if I would do that myself.

Fired Up
    Got It. My flat runs LH gears since the driveline comes off the flexplate (vib. damper to the rear). When buying gears do they come marked LH or RH? If not, how do you tell one from another??

Sangster
    GofastRacer:
    I've run both types in mine and they work just fine, although I did get a little more whine when I ran the opposite??..BTW sangster, since when does a motor facing the wrong way, supposed to be the right way???... In a HYDRO of course.... wink

GofastRacer
    Fired Up:
    Got It. My flat runs LH gears since the driveline comes off the flexplate (vib. damper to the rear). When buying gears do they come marked LH or RH? If not, how do you tell one from another??If you have Casale gears, they are marked left or right!..If they are not marked, you'll have to compare them to the ones you have now!..

GofastRacer
    Sangster:
    GofastRacer:
    I've run both types in mine and they work just fine, although I did get a little more whine when I ran the opposite??..BTW sangster, since when does a motor facing the wrong way, supposed to be the right way???... In a HYDRO of course.... wink Figured you you'd say that!..LOL.......

superdave013
    A few other things to look for when getting gears is the angle. The 10 degrees are stamped as such. The 12 degrees do not have any markings for the angles. At least most don't.
    And you CAN NOT mix and match from one set to another to get a different combanation.
    Don't let people talk you into running 10 degree gears in a 12 degree box. They will fit in there but won't engage correctly. Lots of people do it but I feel it's a no no myself.

Fired Up
    And the way to tell a 10 degree from a 12 degree case again is........

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast