Thread: whats a good way to restore your gelcoat

jetboatjoe
    my boat has pretty bad oxidation how do i get back that shine what can i use

wolfie
    If a polishing compound won't work, you coould go a little heavier with a rubbing compund followed up with a polishing compound. If that doesn't work color sanding/rubbing compound/polishing compound should do the trick.

atxwrangler
    wet sand with 600 grit then clear coat if it is pretty bad!

DUCKY
    If the gelcoat has visible oxidation, don't bother trying to buff it. It needs to be sanded off first. Gelcoat is very porous and by buffing, you open up the pores and the gel sucks in the oxidation. It disappears for a very short time and then rears it's ugly head. Wet sand with 800 or 1000 and then with 1500, and then buff with 3M's Marine compound and wool pad, then finish with their final glaze and a grey foam pad. From there on, keep it protected with any quality marine product that does not contain carnuba. I use a few different steps and products at my shop, but this will give you very high quality results without buying a bunch of extra materials.

HammerDown
    I got tired of the on-going fight w/Oxidation, cleared over the Gell.
    Should have done it years ago.
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...re_049-med.jpg

75MillerJet
    If the gelcoat has visible oxidation, don't bother trying to buff it. It needs to be sanded off first. Gelcoat is very porous and by buffing, you open up the pores and the gel sucks in the oxidation. It disappears for a very short time and then rears it's ugly head. Wet sand with 800 or 1000 and then with 1500, and then buff with 3M's Marine compound and wool pad, then finish with their final glaze and a grey foam pad. From there on, keep it protected with any quality marine product that does not contain carnuba. I use a few different steps and products at my shop, but this will give you very high quality results without buying a bunch of extra materials.
    why is carnauba bad?

flat broke
    why is carnauba bad?
    Relatively low melting point, can be broken down easily with most detergent type soaps, and thus needs more frequent reapplication.
    Chris