Thread: msd weights

does anyone have a set of weights for a msd dist. they are not using? got a dist. and it was locked out.
    thanks

Yep

tim i will give you a call

I hear the term lock out all the time, i'm guessing this means that the distributor is always full advanced? Why would somebody want to do this? I had a bug and somebody put springs in the dist that where rediculisly too tight and the dist never advanced... It made the motor accelerate like shit.

obnoxious001
    I hear the term lock out all the time, i'm guessing this means that the distributor is always full advanced? Why would somebody want to do this? I had a bug and somebody put springs in the dist that where rediculisly too tight and the dist never advanced... It made the motor accelerate like shit.
    Shaun
    When you lock out the distributor, you set the timing at what you want the total to be, maybe 34-36 degrees on a normal NA engine. Sounds like you put the springs in and didn't change the timing?

curtis73
    My low-compression 454 (in a car) is locked at 36 total then a ported vacuum advance provides another 12-14 under light loads. The combination or low-ish compression and a mild performance cam meant terrible idle, so I was able to add a bunch of initial. When I got to 36 initial I realized that I could lock it out and leave it there.