Thread: Vintage Motorcycle

v-drive
    My father in law has been restoring a 1965 or 66 Rickman dirtbike, it has a triumph 500 in it. He changed out the points for a mag and when he was turning it over he noticed that there was no spark. I know this isn't boat related but alot of you guys use mag's so I just thought you might have some ideas.
    Thanks a bunch.........v-drive

motormonkey
    Do you know if the mag worked in the first place? Check the points gap with a bronze feeler gauge only.In a pinch a match book peice will work. Make sure the kill switch post isnt grounded.Is the condensor any good.If it works and you kick it over , roll it close to the top of stroke and then kick it.Timing is real easy on the 500.

Cole Man II
    V-Drive,
    A good person to talk with would be Tom @ Menkens V-drives. He owns a bike shop that builds vintage dirt bikes. You can get his contact info from his web site. Good luck with your project.

KINGVIZION
    My father in law has been restoring a 1965 Rickman dirtbike, it has a triumph 500 in it. He changed out the points for a mag and when he was turning it over he noticed that there was no spark. I know this isn't boat related but alot of you guys use mag's so I just thought you might have some ideas.
    Thanks a bunch.........v-drive
    Im sending you a pm with a number of a guy who has restored 4-5 triumphs.

ss396
    i had a rickman dirt bike when i was in high school it had a 650 trimuph bonnie engine with the oil in the frame. it was one really mean machine. good luck getting it running. i rode mine on old forest service roads and logging roads. where i grew up in north idaho. never had a chance to take it to the dessert but sure would have liked to. enjoy yours.

DUECE'SDAD
    ask on the jockeyjournal.com message board

LakesOnly
    I was into Hodakas back then, Rickman made a frame that took the Hodaka motors (Fuji). Does yours have the nickel plated frame?
    LO

sanger mike
    I was into Hodakas back then, Rickman made a frame that took the Hodaka motors (Fuji). Does yours have the nickel plated frame?
    LO
    hey i saw god on a Hodaka Wombat when i was 12 at holister. :2purples: WOW' everybody was having a good time with a kid who couldn't reach the ground with one foot. but could still clime troll trail.

v-drive
    Yes it does have the nickel plated frame and it is also the one with the oil in it.
    LO

superdave013
    Talk to Davy @ Lucky Stryk Cycles in La Harbra.
    Triumph's are all they do.
    Also one of my best friends could help you out. He's the kid sitting on the gas tank (now in his 50's). And is still really into Triumph's to this day. Building a clone of this bike as we speak. PM me your number if you like and I'll have him call you.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...family-med.jpg