Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Who got the Hemi Hondo?

core attitude
    Did someone here get the '63 Hondo with the 392" Hemi that sold today in the 818 area code? Just curious what it went for and the general condition.
    Pete

DAVE94LIGHTNING
    I just found this site. I bought that boat and took it out to Castaic after a little cleanup/tuneup. The motor has not been cared for recently, but seemed that whoever built it knew what they were doing . It has a remote oil filter setup (braided hose), and a directly driven alternator with a lot of custom brackets etc... No pullies anywhere The heads seem to be 354 heads and the block casting is for a 331 Hemi. It came with a Holley 600 carb which I just rebuilt because the float kept sticking at Castaic. Anyhow, I just finished replacing some exhaust gaskets (edelbrock M/8) which are obsolete, I put in a new throttle assembly and the rebuilt carb. I want to take it out Monday or Tuesday to Piru if it's not too windy.
    It's my first boat and i'm trying to learn as much about v-drives as possible. I know it has a 3 blade prop, Cassale drive forvard only, but I have no idea about the % or the pitch angle.
    Later.

Sangster
    To find Casale Box Degree, one of these #s will be stamped on the front case:
    8 Degree = 60800
    10 Degree = 61000
    12 Degree = 62500
    [ November 18, 2002, 08:50 AM: Message edited by: Sangster ]

DansBlown73Nordic
    Lets see some pictures, sounds like a cool boat!

DAVE94LIGHTNING
    Thanks for the help. I just took the boat out yesterday to Castaic, it was very windy and so i didn't get on it too hard. I just wanted to test the carburetor and the throttle cable setup, as well as my exhaust flappers and gaskets. Everything went well and the boat was super reliable. Now I just need to get a reverse gearbox and adjust my steering pullies for the rudder. It turns better in one direction than the other. Here are some pics

As soon as I stop using the boat i want to pull the motor and rebuild it, paint it and powder coat a bunch of parts, as well as switching all the rubber hose for steel braided stuff. Anyone know of a good parts source for Hemi stuff other than P.A.W?? Thanks for the help again

Kurtis500
    Dave94lightning, let me know what you need for the motor. I have early model stuff and have rebuilt them. I'll be willing to help another hemi man out.
    Only one thing you need to get used to with that hemi... things cost MORE than any other motor. For example, the price for bearings in the PAW catalog is the cheapest. $220 for mains and $100+ for rods. Thats just the way the early hemi is.
    BTW, did you double check your id numbers to be sure of what you got?

DAVE94LIGHTNING
    Kurtis: thanks, I'm sure i'll need your help when I work on the motor. Thus far I have gotten used to the $$ thing with this motor. I just bought a set of spark plug tube seals for $100 and some MSD wires for $150. After cutting and crimping the wires i found out that the round "caps" that are supposed to plug the holes in the valve covers do not fit securely and so I will be returning them. The valve covers are factory "chrysler firepower" covers. Do you know of a plug wire that will correctly seal the plug tubes?
    I ran the numbers on the block with the hemi websites online and the block registers as a 331. The heads however have the external water passages that identifies them as either 354 or 392 heads, but on the 392 the intake port is supposedly "flush" with the top of the block. On my heads, the intake port is slightly above the top of the block which should make them 354 heads. Is this correct? Maybe my research is incorrect.
    Anyhow..i was thinking of a simple teardown and inspection over the next few months and sandblasting the external block, heads and intake and then powdercoating them and replacing the worn valve covers, valley cover etc..with nice brushed aluminum pieces. i also will replumb everything with braided hose and maybe put a better intake setup onit. possibly for a future blower setup.
    I'll keep in touch for sure. Thanks

DansBlown73Nordic
    Dave, in your picture it looks like you have a transmission. If so you should have reverse.

DansBlown73Nordic
    Oh I forgot, very Sharp Boat!!! wink

DAVE94LIGHTNING
    Just took the boat apart and the Casale Box has #62500-1 on it. So I guess it is a 12 degree box.
    How should I service this unit? Any suggestions on what I should do to keep this thing running smoothly?
    Also, when driving the boat, should I shut the boat off when idling in neutral before putting it in drive? Or can I just pull the handle up when in neutral and engage drive with the motor running? It just does not make sense that the boat cannot be shifted into drive while the motor is running, How do you drag race this thing then?
    Thanks for the help

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast