Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 460 ford rocker arms

460 jus getn it
    ok guys i need some help on this one. i have a bbf 460 with dove-c heads. the heads have a 7/16 screw in stud. how do i go about picking out the right set of rocker arms? how do i figure out my ratio? ive heard of alot of guys running bbc rockers on their bbf, is there any difference, if so what are they. thanks 460
    [ August 09, 2003, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: 460 jus getn it ]

BBC rockers are 1.70 to 1- BBF rockers are 1.73 to 1 and there are some differences in design. The BBC rockers will work on the Ford but you'll need to closely check geometry, clearance for the v/s retainer and pushrod clearance.

460 jus getn it
    058, if i want to run bbc rockers am i going to have to change pushrod size an length. am i better off running the bbf rocker or will i get better performance out of the bbc. what are you running in your bbf? thanks you have given me alot of use full info

460 jus getn it:
    058, if i want to run bbc rockers am i going to have to change pushrod size an length. am i better off running the bbf rocker or will i get better performance out of the bbc. what are you running in your bbf? thanks you have given me alot of use full info There are a few brands of rockers made specificly for the BBF. I run Ford SVO alum. rockers on my turboed engine and Harlan Sharps on my 514. They are the only rockers I had that would clear the Jomar stud girdle. The Ford rocker should give you slightly more lift at the valve due to the minor difference in rocker ratio over the Chevy.

spectras only
    These are speedpro rockers I use , they're the same as the SVO 058 using

460 jus getn it
    so if i stick with the bbf rockers,which i think i am going to, am i going to have to run longer pushrods or will i be ok with stock length? i have a set of mandley pushrods right now, any suggestions or are these ok for my application?

I can't tell you if the pushrods you have now will work, you will need to check if they are the proper length. There are alot of factors that determine pushrod length, IE: block deck height, head deck thickness, valve stem length, how far the valves are sunk into the head [if the heads have had alot of valve jobs] cam lobe profile and even head gasket thickness all have something to do with the final finished length of the pushrod.

spectras only
    Here are the standard length pushrods for reference on 429/460 from 1968-69= 8.70" , 69-72 8.67", 73-80=8.62" . I've used ford svo pushrods [ .375" dia, 8.725" length] on 460's from 1972 on with 10.322 deckheight with CJ heads on .Without knowing what work if any has been done on your engine , pay attention for rocker arm geometry with your present pushrods after you installed new rockers . 058 , check your pm.
    [ August 10, 2003, 11:08 PM: Message edited by: spectras only ]

Blown 472
    Crower makes a nice set of roller rockers, also if you are putting guide plates on a motor that did not have them double check the rocker to the stud as you might have to cut down the boss for the stud in the head or have the rocker get into the fillet area on the stud.

460 jus getn it
    i only know that the block was a virgin and had never been touched the heads are dove-c and have a stage 3 port job. do i need to go to the machinest and find out my deck height? cause i dont know what it is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast