Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new chevy zz 502 crate motor, should I change oil pan?

bustbig
    I just purchased a zz502 crate engine with aluminum Edelbrock heads and roller cam assembly. I am going to install Crane gold series roller rockers that I salvaged from my previous motor and new valve covers. Does anyone know if I can use the stock 6 quart oil pan? Is anyone looking to sell a bigger one. And does anyone have any other suggestions about changes I should make before installing it.

230Stingray
    I'm running one. Do change the oilpan to a Merc 8 quart. I have 250 hours on mine with no problems

230Stingray
    Heres mine

Boozer
    Why are you going to reuse roller rockers? I understand that they are rollers and can be re-used for the most part but you just dropped a shit load of money for that motor. Don't you think you'd be wise to just spend a few extra bikes and buy a new set of roller rockers?
    My car had rollers in it and I ALWAYS changed the roller rockers whenever I put a new cam in it. You are better safe then sorry.

502procharger
    i have a 9 quartmarine hp pan that was 400 new i will sell it for 200 used, i can get pictures if interested.
    i also have a good used cam out of my 500hp if you have any interest $150.00 i dont have the spec's in front of me but i know it is a relitively aggressive cam but not to wild that you have to worrie about reversion.
    [ August 08, 2003, 03:20 PM: Message edited by: 502procharger ]

bustbig
    502procharger:
    i have a 9 quartmarine hp pan that was 400 new i will sell it for 200 used, i can get pictures if interested.
    i also have a good used cam out of my 500hp if you have any interest $150.00 i dont have the spec's in front of me but i know it is a relitively aggressive cam but not to wild that you have to worrie about reversion. Do you think I need to change the cam? It came with a 110 roller cam that is supposedly designed or built by Crane for Chevy. Perhaps you would be able to explain it better? The pan sounds good, what condition is it in? Is it off a Mercruiser 500 hp? Also do you think reusing my Crane gold series roller rockers is a mistake? I was not aware that they wore out particularly fast, is there a significant risk of them doing serious damage? Thanks for your help.

502procharger
    as for the roller rockers i have no idea why you would change them especialy on a new motor. but i do know the cam is not made for marine application and the pan is to small to deal with a marine environment. 8-10 qu min. and a marine cam and brinze freeze plugs. also if it is a hei ign it needs to be switched over to a msd or thunderbolt at a min. great motor stock for a car, but needs a little changes for a marine motor. as always feel free to check with everyone else but i am sure most will agree. good luck and let me know if you want any other info. by the way i am shitfaced right now so dont hold the spelling against me. bc out

bustbig
    What kind of cam do you have for sale. What degree? And how much do you want for it? I would like to see the oil pan as well as learn a little more info on it. I am seing Canton 10 quart pans new for $350, but I really need to save $ after buying this motor and paying taxes in the same week.

502procharger
    i will get pictures and info on both on sunday or monday.

powerplay230
    One idea for oil pan is to call couple of marine shops in area that do rebuilding or repowering. Last year I bought same motor scoggins dickey and had to make most those changes to put it in the boat. Local engine guru here sold me a pan and the pickup that went with it for either $50 or $75 can't remember. Myself I wouldn't change the rockers on that motor if it is brand new, why take a chance for a possible increase of what 5 Hp?
    Stingray230 Motor looks pretty sweet, did you ever run it with mercruisers exhaust before switching and if so what kind of differences did you see. Also are those Gil, Stainless Marines or whose???
    Thanks,
    Rich

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast