Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Paint ??????

BILLY.B
    Where is a good place to get finesse? Any auto body supply shop in your area should carry it.

carreraboat
    What about an older boat that has flake? it sat outside and now you can kinda feel the flake can you just clear over it to help bring it back

396_WAYS_TO_SPIT
    Well billy I am going to jump into this thread since I am getting ready to have my hull sprayed. I have gell cracks all around my bow. How do I fix them before we shoot it? I have hear that you have to grind them out!!!! That is alot of grinding!!!! If I remember correctly, cyclone's boat was resprayed and they used something (like a filler) to go over the cracks. I asked them what they use but they seemed to blow me off. i know there is some easier way to fill them in besies grinding them all out and glassing them in. The bottom an sides are painted but the top has to be finished. Then I can start rigging. Any info is appreciated
    396(michael)

BILLY.B
    What about an older boat that has flake? it sat outside and now you can kinda feel the flake can you just clear over it to help bring it backWhen you can feel the flake that means the clear gelcoat that was used to protect it when it was sprayed in the mold for protecting the flake is gone. This is from sitting outside over years and the sun has taken it's toll. I would imagine the color is also faded out and all the clear is going to do is bring back the shine, but thats not always true either as the flake will act as a sponge and suck alot of the clear up and you'll end up with a some what shiney flake non skid. Best bet is to repaint and that brings on a whole new set of things to deal with. Are there any splits on the deck?, kinda like laquer checking?. Let me know what you decide to do and if I can be of any help.

BILLY.B
    Well billy I am going to jump into this thread since I am getting ready to have my hull sprayed. I have gell cracks all around my bow. How do I fix them before we shoot it? I have hear that you have to grind them out!!!! That is alot of grinding!!!! If I remember correctly, cyclone's boat was resprayed and they used something (like a filler) to go over the cracks. I asked them what they use but they seemed to blow me off. i know there is some easier way to fill them in besies grinding them all out and glassing them in. The bottom an sides are painted but the top has to be finished. Then I can start rigging. Any info is appreciated
    396(michael) Well if you just but a filler over the cracks it's like putting a band aid on a broken arm...."AIN'T GONNA WORK"!!!. After time they will come back and you will have wished you'd of spent the time to do it right, especially if your going to go through all the time to paint it. You have to grind out the cracks lay some glass, block sand until you've featherd into the original gelcoat. You can use a little filler to blend and put an epoxy primer to finish it in before painting. Believe me...Spend the time now or you'll regret it later.

carreraboat
    no cracks it looks good wet is the reason i thought i could just use some clear

dtr352
    Ok. I got the fenders all primed and sanded today. I would like to do the color tomoroww afternoon. How much time should I leave between coats. The primer can said to add hardener and repeat coats every 15min no more then three coats. What about color. Besides thiner does it need hardener too. Thanks for the help.

BILLY.B
    no cracks it looks good wet is the reason i thought i could just use some clear If the color still looks good and there are no cracks .....go for it, good luck.

BILLY.B
    Ok. I got the fenders all primed and sanded today. I would like to do the color tomoroww afternoon. How much time should I leave between coats. The primer can said to add hardener and repeat coats every 15min no more then three coats. What about color. Besides thiner does it need hardener too. Thanks for the help. I'm confused, do you mean the clear can said to add hardner seeing as you have already primed the parts??. If the color is a base coat color it usually doesn't need a hardner. If it's Dupont for example it uses a different type reducer that will activate the color. Same with PPG's basecoat. PPG has two different type of basecoats with two different type of reducers. So to anwer your question i'd need to know what type of material your using. Put enough paint on to bring up to the color of the truck, waiting about 10 to 15 min between coats. When your satisfied then you can clear. Wait about 30 minutes after your last basecoat coat before you clear just to make sure all the solvents have gotten out. Put 2 to 3 coats of clear and you should be done. Good luck.

dtr352
    Thanks for the help. I will shoot the color and clear today. I will try to post a pic of the finished product when Im done.

Page 4 of 25 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast