Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BBC Intake question

iggdog
    Can someone give me the downlow on the best choice on an intake to replace my Holly Strip Dominator thats cracked? It's going on a rebuilt .030 over 454 with flat tops, 290 heads ( big oval ports with big valves installed), Cam is .550 lift .240 dur @ .050. The holly seemed to work O.K. but I was wondering if there is something better out there? the hull is an 18' Cole starfire jet that gets used mostly for ski / tube duty with the occasional speed run. I plan on running single 800 Holly DP. Thanks in advance.

MikeF
    Is it so bad it can't be welded? How do you crack a manifold? :boxed:

Badburn
    Back in my bracket racing days, I found the victor Jr. to have the best overall power. But it depends on your combo.

Doin' Time
    question for badburn.......do you have a victor jr. on your car now???????just kidding ya....yea victors are cool!..i have a super victor on my car now,im happy with it.

iggdog
    Yeah, I was actually looking at the victor jr. According to what I've read, the victor jr. comes on a little lower in RPM's than the strip dominator. To answer MikeF, the cracks happened around the bolt holes. This is a different block than the one it came off of, same heads though. Manifold is at welder/buddys' now. May or may not re-use it, but WILL measure next time manifold gets torqued on.

MikeF
    OK. The manifold don't need to be torqued down super tight. But as a recommendation.......the bolts should be checked for tightness before each trip. It does not take very long. Usually when someone does not check this leads to water leaks on the ends.....which = water in the oil.
    If you buy a new one you really can't go wrong w/ the Victor jr. :rollside:

RICHARD TILL
    iggdog, the holley that you have is perfect for your motor. looks good too. unless you just want to make a change, i`d buy another.

iggdog
    Manifold was torqued to 30ft. lbs. in sequence shown in the manual.

kaqster
    I had that same engine/comp cams hydraulic cam and Holley manifold. Dumped the Holley intake and added the Edelbrock dual plane intake I believe the (torquer) someone can probably correct me, but the dual plane intake and the torque curve was perfect up to 5800 rpm. Beat lotz of boats from the hole!!

Moneypitt
    Which holes broke out? The 4 that hang out the furthest, (2 per side) do not have any gasket under them and should not be torqued as tight as the rest. Those 4 are just snugged down, carefully...........MP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast