Thread: Marine Carb vs. Land Carb?

Miller20
    Sounds Dumb, but what is the difference between a land and marine carb?

Hotcrusader76
    Differences between the two are...
    Vent tubes...Marine versions have them redirected into the main body.
    Throttle shafts...incase of leaks, they are grooved to redirect back into the main body.
    Needle/Seats...Dependant on it's use, the off-road Viton needle may be installed. Spring loaded for heavy jolts and bouncing.
    Other than that there isn't much of a difference with the land version; can be rigged to look and perform like a Marine version and cheaper of coarse.
    Ty Lofstrom
    Texas Performance Carburetors
    sales@tpcracing.com

Baja 2-72
    Hey Ty,
    You sound pretty knowledgable about carburetors...How about tring to answer a question for me...
    I have a 1994 Baja 272 with a 454 Magnum and some kind of Carter/Weber carb. I have a problem with warm starts. I have to give full trottle to get it to start. Cold starts are great and hot starts are fine. It only happens when I been floating for an hour or two. The electric choke seems to be working ok. The idle mixture screws didn't seem to adjust easily....what I mean is it wasent real obvious where the too lean or too rich poins were, so I took my best guess and then set them in the midle of the rich/lean points....Seems like some kind of vapor lock....Any other ideas?
    Mark....

gnarley
    [QUOTE]Originally posted by Hotcrusader76:
    Differences between the two are...
    Vent tubes...Marine versions have them redirected into the main body.
    Throttle shafts...incase of leaks, they are grooved to redirect back into the main body.
    Needle/Seats...Dependant on it's use, the off-road Viton needle may be installed. Spring loaded for heavy jolts and bouncing.
    Other than that there isn't much of a difference with the land version; can be rigged to look and perform like a Marine version and cheaper of coarse.
    Hotcrusader76, Holley says that the metering blocks are different also due to the load on a marine engine verses auto. And don't forget if an inspection ever wants to look at a carb & it's not marine it could cost you $$$

Hotcrusader76
    GNARLEY
    and your exactly right on! The metering blocks and their special characteristics??? I would question that with Holley! That's all a ploy. So you drill one little hole or two to change the "transition" circuit...Ok...now it's a Marine carburetor...see this is all marketing scams.
    But as far as the inspector goes...Yes...if it's not a Marine approved carb..stand bye!

The Raven
    The above posts are Correct, "BUT" if you started out with Marine carbs, and then switch to Lets say Hollys all you need to do is switch the Green marine tag to the new holly and BINGO the Inspectors willnot catch you.
    PROOF!!!! I had a pair of Rodchester Quar-Ra-poopies, switched to Holly 650s painted everything MERC black and switched Tags. Got stopped and Inspected due to Thru-HULL exhaust [ stock Merc 4"] by a pair of Local wanta be COPS. They looked at and searched everything.
    I don't say Break the Law BUT!!!!
    The new Webber carbs are the old CARTER AFBs