Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My son is going in for surgery

wright27
    I am needing some positive feedback. It is nothing major. He broke his elbow last weekend riding and needs pins put in. I am so nervous. I have had a few surgeries myself, I know it is nothing to worry about, but he is only 13. He is still my little bud no matter how old he is or how big he is getting. I got to be the strong dad, so I cannot let him know I am nervous.

Devil's Advocate
    It's normal to be nervous. Try not to worry, I'm sure he's in very good hands and your little guy will be just fine!

phebus
    Of course your nervous. That's love showing through, and I'm sure he see's some of it, and it's O.K. It let's him know you care.

Bow Tie Omega
    Hang in there. IMO there is nothing worse than when your children get sick and have to spend some time in the hospital. I have a two year old who was born 5 weeks premature and have had to spend a good bit of time in the hospital due to issues stemming from him being premature, mostly immune system issues. Your son will be fine. Believe it or not, his confidence will depend on you and your confidence. Give him a hug, try to be the last person he see's before surgery and the first when he wakes up. During the surgery, it will be a good time to catch up on some Hot Boat Magazine, reading will distract you as well. Hang in there. Moments like this are when people become "parents". Good luck to you and your son.

wright27
    Of course your nervous. That's love showing through, and I'm sure he see's some of it, and it's O.K. It let's him know you care.
    The love you have for your kids, it is so crazy to love someone that much. I am just trying to keep him from being scared. Telling him it is no big deal. If he sees me scared he will be scared. He goes in today at 1:00pm. I have said some good prayers.

Mr. C
    My son had a couple of pins put in his hand last year. He was pretty nervous waiting to go in for surgery, we asked the doctors if he could listen to his ipod during surgery. They said no problem and it calmed him down alot (even though it was his mosh pit music sh*t). Funny thing is during surgery they changed to one of the doctors ipods (opera type music).
    Everything worked out just fine and I'm sure it will for you and your son as well.
    May i suggest a double goose on the rocks for your nerves :rollside:
    Good luck

Mr. C
    And don't forget to asked him alot of questions when he is starting to wake up. You will be suprised at some of the answers. He won't remember answering so you can bring them up at the dinner table or in the car, the blank stares (how did you know that) i got were priceless.

wright27
    Hang in there. IMO there is nothing worse than when your children get sick and have to spend some time in the hospital. I have a two year old who was born 5 weeks premature and have had to spend a good bit of time in the hospital due to issues stemming from him being premature, mostly immune system issues. Your son will be fine. Believe it or not, his confidence will depend on you and your confidence. Give him a hug, try to be the last person he see's before surgery and the first when he wakes up. During the surgery, it will be a good time to catch up on some Hot Boat Magazine, reading will distract you as well. Hang in there. Moments like this are when people become "parents". Good luck to you and your son.
    Thanks. Glad to hear all is great with your child.
    Great idea about the Hot boat mag. I will take a few, otherwise I will stuck reading National Geographic.

All-Star
    Yes it is super scary to have your children in the hospital. And What a great father you are for being so concerned.
    I wanted to let you know that I also had elbow surgery. I shattered the tip of my elbow and broke the Ulna Bone. They placed 3 pins and 3 wires in my arm. Then I went in for another surgery to remove all the hardware.
    My major recomendation is to please, please, please make sure that once he is out (And I know he will be out of surgery fine!).... Go to every single bit of Physical therapy that you can. And do not miss an appointment. I kind of took it lightly and now I have a crooked arm (Not to bad). Only I can really tell, no one else really seems to notice.
    Once they took the hardware out they let me go to more physical therapy and I am seeing more improvement. If my arm does not go all the way straight then they will give me a brace to wear at night to force it to go straight by tightening it a little bit every night. But If I had really been better in the very begining then maybe this would not have happened.
    So I wish you and your son luck and my prayers will be with you and your family.
    P.S. And if you are concerned about the scar.... just let me know, I have some killer topical ointment that really takes the scar away. :idea:
    Good luck and keep us posted.

Ziggy
    Best of wishes for your son. I lived through multiple major surguries on my sons ears when he was between 10-15. Real scary shit for me but had to put my trust in the Dr. Thankfully now he does has about 50% hearing instead of having the chance of loosing it or worse..
    Defenitely take your own reading material, and I have to totally agree ask some interesting questions

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast