Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wright daycruser hull qusetions

V-Driver
    Hello to all,
    I have been having a ball reading what you guys have to say about one of my favorites subjects, V-drive gofaster boats. I have a project in the works that I am sure I will have tons of questions about in the near future. The hull is a Wright 20.6 cruser that was molded in the pacific northwest in 89Â’ by Hugh Paxton. Jim Willks tells me that the hull was originally designed for jet rigging. When I purchased this project the strut, shaft log and C-500 were installed and not much more. Does anybody know anything about Wright daycruser hulls? How will the bottom react to the V-drive set up? How will this hull react to HP. Thanks a bunch.
    Andrew

Thunderbutt
    V-Driver You were talking to the guy (Jim Wilks) that should have the answers to all of your questions. I thought the Wright boats were built in the San Fernando valley. If Spectrabrent sees this post he will know who's boat Wright pluged to build there cruser.

boatguy222
    V-Driver,
    I live in Eugene and I am the process of re-rigging a 20' daycruiser, although I have not heard of your hull, I may be able to help with set-up or parts if you need anything. you can email me at harmons1@msn.com
    Good luck,
    Marc

Costello
    I believe it's a WREIDT (correct spelling) hull although I never knew they built a cruiser. My friend has a WREIDT flat and it's a sturdy but heavy old boat.

V-Driver
    Thanks for the response. I would love to know what boat was splashed originally to come up with this hull. It has the typical mini daycruser look but has 2 “humps” or rises in the deck, 4 full length lift strakes, about 14 degree dead rise and a 14” wide pad that extends approx 6 feet forward of the transom. If I can finger out how to post a pic I will. It is registered as a Paxton but the guy a bought it from called it a Wright (spelling?). As it has not been in the water my biggest concern is placement of strut/engine/fuel ect. and having a good balanced and safe boat. Lots to do before we get it wet. Again thanks, any info or input is welcomed.
    Boatguy, I would like to see what you are up to and thanks.
    Andrew

boatguy222
    Andrew,
    where do you live? If you come to Eugene let me know or e mail me off list and I'll give you my number.
    Marc

VD CRUISER
    V-Driver, If you plan to put a lot of power in the boat be sure you get good information on what shaft angle to use and where to place the strut. Makes a big difference at top speed. Phil Bergeron at Bergeron Engineering,Ph.# 480-834-1531 knows a lot about this, and he makes a lot of parts too.

Costello
    To the best of my knowledge, the original "double hump" cruisers were from Campbell. I've seen a couple of off brands (can't even remember the name at present) which also had this design, but it seems most of these were in the 22-24' range including the Campbell. As for a 20'6" with that style I don't know. Spectra Brent knows his cruisers pretty well, he might know.

SPECTRABRENT
    I would like to see a picture of the hull to see what the design it is. The Spectra 20 was the hull most MFG's splashed or copied.
    The deck on the Spectra 20 has only one step, the Taylor had two steps.
    Brent
    [This message has been edited by SPECTRABRENT (edited February 19, 2002).]

V-Driver
    Thanks for all replys.
    Boat guy, I live in Albany and I will.
    VD I do have some concerns with power, (740HP @ 5600 and 810LBFT @ 3900..not in any way to much power) but the sturt is set and unless it is stupidly placed (as purchased) I will leav it for now. I will post as to the position of the underwater gear for input.
    Costello, Brent
    I will try my luck at getting a pic posted on friday when I get back to work. She resembles a Campbell but proportioned differently.
    Agian thanks.
    Andrew

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast