Thread: Automotive Scan tools ? ? Any of you mechanic shops ???

DUECE'SDAD
    Its finnaly time for our shop www.legendscollision.com to pick up a scan tool for check engine lights, abs, airbags and so forth. Any ways, I was wondering if any of you guys have or work at a shop and use a one. Im looking for advice on which one to buy. Im kinda leaning on the OTC genisis # 3653 you can see it at www.otctool.com, orielly wants a little over $ 2000
    And there is a tool shop on egay that sells the same for 1299 outta texas which is just a state away !!!
    We dont have any tool trucks that come to our area and i dont think i would take there advice anyways . . . What do you guys think, can you give me any advice ??? One of the main reason for purchasing is the new BG Brake system flush machine we bought needs the tool hooked up to open the abs pump sparatically for the flush to be done, that and with all the airbag work in the body shop. Let me know what you think if you have fact to back it up.
    Thanks, Dustin

DelawareDave
    My step son just got this one, and is happy with it. He likes it much better than the Snap-on 2500. Being PC based makes life a bit simpler, I guess. For him, he can take a laptop right into the car to check things out. Ease Scan Tool (http://www.obd2.com/scantool/scantool.htm)

I picked up a used Snap-on scanner, with up to date, domestic and foreign cartridges, for $1100.00 bucks, from my Matco tool guy. It suites me fine, but then again I don't do auto repair for a living, but seem to be able to fix things the dealer can't

IMPATIENT 1
    i'd stick with the pc based scanner, those snap-on cartridges get expensive after a couple yrs. i just bought updates thru 07 for our snap on scanner and i spent 1300.00 of the dealerships $$$ just for software(cart.). we were told you can buy a snap on scanner that'll download updates directly from the internet, but software is still gonna be $$$$$$.
    the otc scan tool is nice, i've used it too. seems to have more functions than the snap on too.

Maxey
    I have used many different forms of scan tools over the years, both as a tech and an instructor. You might try taking a look at www.aeswave.com
    They have a few available that might be just the ticket for your needs.
    Happy Holidays,
    Dave
    Its finnaly time for our shop www.legendscollision.com to pick up a scan tool for check engine lights, abs, airbags and so forth. Any ways, I was wondering if any of you guys have or work at a shop and use a one. Im looking for advice on which one to buy. Im kinda leaning on the OTC genisis # 3653 you can see it at www.otctool.com, orielly wants a little over $ 2000
    And there is a tool shop on egay that sells the same for 1299 outta texas which is just a state away !!!
    We dont have any tool trucks that come to our area and i dont think i would take there advice anyways . . . What do you guys think, can you give me any advice ??? One of the main reason for purchasing is the new BG Brake system flush machine we bought needs the tool hooked up to open the abs pump sparatically for the flush to be done, that and with all the airbag work in the body shop. Let me know what you think if you have fact to back it up.
    Thanks, Dustin

Blown509Liberator
    I have used many different forms of scan tools over the years, both as a tech and an instructor. You might try taking a look at www.aeswave.com
    They have a few available that might be just the ticket for your needs.
    Happy Holidays,
    Dave
    In my opinion Baum http://tools.baumtools.com/diagnostic.jsp is as good as it gets for imports. Also If you do a lot of imports I would look in to the Bosch KTS’s .Bosch a few year back bought up Vetronix Corporation who makes the Mastertech. I think The have head up the program of developing the KTS for Bosch. An then the Mastertech for domestic. Again this is my personal preference.
    Maxey:
    Who you an Instructor for? I been an instructor for the past 10 years. I have worked for Melior as a contract trainer for GM/ACDelco, Bosch, Volvo cars SAFE program. I train now for International Truck and Engine. Shoot me an E-mail. Mike.Whitehead@Nav-International.com Always good to here from a fellow train to compare notes/techniques.
    Mike

DUECE'SDAD
    thanks guy finally bought the genisis with all the goodies for 1800 plus they gave 200 gas card so acutually 1600 still have to get europeen data but everything else was included