Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: where"s the props"

captain
    I"ve been lokin 4 a 12 x21 lefthand 1 inch tapered shaft prop 4 my v-drive,well it sucks 2 b me!!!!the prop warehouse was no help, mi-wheel hasn"t replied ,,,chad hill,len"s or anybody else must be off line.
    So I bring my problem 2 the people! HAS ANYONE GOT A 12 X 21 LEFTHAND 3 BLADE 1 INCH TAPERED SHAFT PROPELLER or something close.
    Just in case u were wondering what the application was ,it fits a 16 ft. sanger,14% o.d.casale,twisted via a heavily massaged,68 vette,327 blown ,and 300hp nitrous. anyway some help on the prop would b great even a used one close 2 that pitch would help....

superdave013
    Is that 16' sanger a flatbottom?? If so good luck finding a 21" pitch prop for it. That is way, way too much pitch. It will give your boat so much lift at the tail it will not even be funny. 17" pitch props are just about the limit as far as pitch goes and still having a good handling boat. I ran an 11 X 16 on my flatbottoms. You are only running a 14% gear so you should step that up big time. What prop are you running now? It might be fine with the correct gear.

I agree with SuperDave. That prop sounds like it should be on a outboard. A SBC with 14% should run something like a 11x14 or 15. Change gears if the engine will pull it, not props.

captain
    Originally posted by superdave013:
    Is that 16' sanger a flatbottom?? If so good luck finding a 21" pitch prop for it. That is way, way too much pitch. It will give your boat so much lift at the tail it will not even be funny. 17" pitch props are just about the limit as far as pitch goes and still having a good handling boat. I ran an 11 X 16 on my flatbottoms. You are only running a 14% gear so you should step that up big time. What prop are you running now? It might be fine with the correct gear.
    sorry, it"s a 18 ft.ok if its a gear change,how far do I go to drop one thousand rpm?...

Sangerboy
    I would try 18's first. Even though it doesn't seem like a big jump it is actually almost a 30% increase in your overdrive ratio. I run 15's in my box and have seen the tach at 8000. I'm considering putting in 18's this winter. I run a 10&7/8 X 16 Kindsvater prop.

captain
    Originally posted by Sangerboy:
    I would try 18's first. Even though it doesn't seem like a big jump it is actually almost a 30% increase in your overdrive ratio. I run 15's in my box and have seen the tach at 8000. I'm considering putting in 18's this winter. I run a 10&7/8 X 16 Kindsvater prop.
    thanx 4 the info, I finally got through 2 mi-wheel talked with kevin in enginering and I think I"m going 2 try a 12x19 with a full cup,he thinks a 14x19 cut down and cupped will give me the strength and durability I"m looking for,.. said it would take 4-5 weeks 2 build,...was hopeing someone else had already been down this path,.. anyone got a parichute I can barrow?... thanx again 4 the info,...captain

superdave013
    No No No, I'm sorry to shoot that down but that is totaly the wrong prop! 19" is to much pitch and you do not want any cup! Mi Wheel is not in the drag boat prop buis. They make great props but not for a flatbottom! My brother loves the one on his MasterCraft but that's not the same game. Call Menkins, Stellings (spin off of Sanger), Chad Hill, Hill props or Kindsvater. Try Jim Wilkes too @ 714 540-8908. I bet he has a used one for you and he is a smoking great guy. You will need that chute jacket if you run that prop with your blown small block on nitrous.
    It's too bad that you have a top loader Casale in your boat. You will have a harder time finding gears. But you must get rid of your nirbral prop and get a STEEL!! one. You can find some gears if you look real hard.
    I'm with sanger boy, I like small diameter props, short gears and lots of RPM in my flats. 14% to 18 is a big jump but you are going up in hp big time too. If you can find some 18 - 22 gears get them. The 22% if your the nitrous junkie that I am. If not go with some 18's. Oh, I know your not thinking three baldes are you? You want a two blade for going fast. It will still pull a ski rope out of your hands too.

captain
    Originally posted by superdave013:
    No No No, I'm sorry to shoot that down but that is totaly the wrong prop! 19" is to much pitch and you do not want any cup! Mi Wheel is not in the drag boat prop buis. They make great props but not for a flatbottom! My brother loves the one on his MasterCraft but that's not the same game. Call Menkins, Stellings (spin off of Sanger), Chad Hill, Hill props or Kindsvater. Try Jim Wilkes too @ 714 540-8908. I bet he has a used one for you and he is a smoking great guy. You will need that chute jacket if you run that prop with your blown small block on nitrous.
    It's too bad that you have a top loader Casale in your boat. You will have a harder time finding gears. But you must get rid of your nirbral prop and get a STEEL!! one. You can find some gears if you look real hard.
    I'm with sanger boy, I like small diameter props, short gears and lots of RPM in my flats. 14% to 18 is a big jump but you are going up in hp big time too. If you can find some 18 - 22 gears get them. The 22% if your the nitrous junkie that I am. If not go with some 18's. Oh, I know your not thinking three baldes are you? You want a two blade for going fast. It will still pull a ski rope out of your hands too.
    ok,ok,ok,wow the more I learn,more the more ignorant I realize I am,think I"ll put it back in the barn..captain

superdave013
    captian, Hey, I'm not calling you ignorant. Sorry if you think I was being an a$$ as that was not my intent at all. But I just don't want to see you spend money on the wrong thing and/or set your boat up wrong and hurt yourself. Don't put it back in the barn! Flatbottoms are so fun to drive so stick it out. You just might have to spend a little more and put a little more work into it is all. It will be worth it. Look for a good used prop as new flatbottom props are very $$$$. Keep posting and let us konw how it works out for you.
    Dave

ponponracing
    If you want to have fun with your flatbottom, your prop should be 11-11 1/2 diameter by 15-15 1/2 diameter minimum and maximum. I tried 16 pitch but it made the boat slightly unstable in rough water or during hard acceleration.
    I went from Super-Stock class to Pro-Comp and now to Can-Am and it was always with the same props. Close to the same numbers with K-boats but with slightly different blade shape.
    After you have a good prop., you correct rpm with gears.
    By the way, I run 1100hp in my flat., 540 injected alky with Olds heads. Works decent.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast