Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gear Drive Question

powerplay230
    I have put on big block chevy that runs 7500 rpm for very short time periods over the course of a month and have had no problems at all. Think I would take several peoples' advice and add a quality fluid dampner to help keep things together. As hard as marine engines run I would definately check outfluid dampners and the effect on flexplates. They do make some noise though even though it is possible to quiet them down without a negative effect (to a point)

flat broke
    Then what about a belt drive as an option? They should totaly neutralize harmonics, have less drag, etc, but can they stand the R's for extended duration? I've only seen them on drag boats. But that doesn't mean they couldn't be a viable alternative in other applications.
    Just a thought.
    Chris

Dennis Moore
    The belt drive works nice, most of us have cars with belt drives. The V8 would use a relatively short belt drive compared to the OH cam engines in our cars, but I would I would still worry a little bit about durability with big valve springs on the engine.
    Dennis Moore

FastRat1
    Danhercules...u can run a gear drive in most any motor...its advantages..as Hoss says..it keeps the timeing much more accurate..and no chain stretch to worry about..i ran one in all my drag cars and also run one in my boat..n/p ever..i also run a flex plate on my motor with n/p..perhaps a flywheel (alum/steel) in a drag boat might work to some advantage..but i dont think the average boat needs one..belt drives are nice in a car/truck application (quiet--reliable)..but i dont know about there overall reliablety in a high rev application...just my 2 cents
    Ron

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12