Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual quads on 302

SnoopJonnyJon
    I bought a dual quad offenhauser intake with 500cfm Carter AFB's for the 302 I am putting in my reg cab ranger minitruck. it will be 9.5-10:1 compression with trick flow twisted wedge heads and a .525 lift roller cam and a 3000rpm stall C4. All my buddies think it will be so over-carbed that it will hardly run. I realize it will give up some performance to a single 4 barrel. I am willing to lose some power as long as it still runs right, just because it looks cool. I always planned for the truck to be more of a show truck/ lowrider than a drag car. Will it really be as bad as my buddies say? I know that the cross-ram Z/28 had dual 600cfm carbs, so this doesn't seem so ridiculous to me, but everyone's been telling me I am an idiot. I know lots of you guys run wild intakes, so tell me what ya think.
    http://i8.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/7a/ce/e03c_12.JPG

GofastRacer
    Since it's on a dual plane manifold and you have progressive linkage it will run good, only when you stand on it will be a total waste and just suck the gas!.

Moneypitt
    Brings back the memories of the roaring 60s!! Dual quads are in a class all their own. Sure there are some "driveability" issues, but WHO CARES........And the sound, nothing like cracking those babies wide open on a quiet evening and letting them ROAR................MP
    PS: Those are vacuum controlled secondaries so they shouldn't be too bad on gas........ :cry: :cry: :cry:

GofastRacer
    From the looks of that linkage, the back carb won't open till half throttle on the front one, that's plenty for driving around town!.. I had a 406 with trypower and 90% of the time I was on 1 two barrell!..

SnoopJonnyJon
    Wicked. That's what I like to hear.

SnoopJonnyJon
    You think a 3000 stall is inadequate? Would 3500 be better. My plan was to run 3.55 gears (currently 4.11 with an overdrive, but switching to a C4) and about 25 inch tires. Truck should weigh about 2900lbs based on what I have read about the swap. I am not really too concerned about fuel economy, or even the civility of the powertrain, but I am concerned with longevity. I'm going to be spending nearly everything I have on this motor swap, so I really want it to last. That's why I am concerned with spinning it too fast on the highway, and I've heard high stall converters are hard on stuff. I mostly plan to just cruise it around in the city and cruise nights, etc. but it needs to work for the occasional highway trip at least twice a year when I would take it from my storage at the farm to my house in the city (200 miles).

SnoopJonnyJon
    Oh yeah, I am fine with chugging along at 60mph on the highway if i have to, don't need a 90mph cruising speed.

SnoopJonnyJon
    I was planning to use a Neal Chance bolt together converter, so stall changes can be made easily before it is installed.

SnoopJonnyJon
    Who's the man in Regina? I am dealing with Brian at Performance Plus in Saskatoon. They run a few 5.0L out at SIR and seem to know how to make power. Prices seem pretty good too.
    http://plustest.no-ip.org/Qstore1/Qs...7&BACK=A0001A1

Since it's on a dual plane manifold and you have progressive linkage it will run good, only when you stand on it will be a total waste and just suck the gas!.
    I don't believe that is a dual plane. Had one of these, zero bottom end, pure $hit fuel distribution, but it was cheap and they do look cool. If you look at the little logo on top of the thermostat hole it says 360 inside of a circle.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast