Thread: Mantra Texas Tunnel

Jspeeddemon
    I am looking for some information regarding a mantra tunnel and setup successes and failures. Any input as to HP and ride as well as safety issues would be much appreciated, I keep hearing varying opinions. I was told today that the hull could handle about 800 HP. I would like any feedback that is reliable.

ONAROLL
    I have never heard of a HP limit, but Im very happy with mine, #350, BBF, all the goodies............ask away........Vic
    p.s. a Mantra and a Texas Tunnel are two different boats, close in design but different manufactures.

sdba069
    I was about to point that out, ONAROLL. Is that boat a 16' or 18'? I've owned an 18' and help a friend of mine with his 16' drag boat. My 18 tried to pitch me out from about 55 mph when it lost fuel pressure. It was for sell the next day. A friend of mine has had it ever since with pretty good HP and never had a problem. I did install a Jetaway in it, though. That 16' has pitched a couple of guys, but so far we've had no problem with it. The 18' is a lake boat and the 16' is a drag boat with a very mild blown 454.

ONAROLL
    Garry, mine is an 18, it pitched Clay Mahaney a few years ago and kinda got a bad reputation locally, I rebuilt and ran it pretty hard last year, I have a pop off but I doubt it/I could react fast enough to get out of trouble during a fast shut down, I am pretty wary of the boat but damn I like mine, I have a new 521 going in this week, going to take it to Ft Cobb and play a little this summer..........Vic

sdba069
    Hey Vic............ I remember something about Clay's incident. Where do you live in Ok. Seems like I should know, but I'm old and forget things. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

ONAROLL
    Hey Vic............ I remember something about Clay's incident. Where do you live in Ok. Seems like I should know, but I'm old and forget things. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.
    The incident broke his neck, (so he says...lol) yup, third pass in the boat and the "crewchief" forgot to refuel, "dramatic fuel pressure loss", chunked his big ass, he has recovered well, his sponsor passed away and Clay sold his flat, I
    used to spend alot of time at Dan R's and Jimmy's in the 80's, still see Jimmy some, maybe we crossed paths there, I have a few parts on my boat that came from you last summer, maybe we can throw back a few this summer, I understand you used to haunt this area? I live on the river in Tahlequah.
    Vic

RICHARD TILL
    i`m in a partnership on three 16ft. texas tunnel hulls. they are to be respected and will pitch your a$$ quick. 1 of the hulls we bought wrecked. it was a 8sec boat. wrecked at smokin in the cove 2000 race. we just bought it for the trailer and hardware. the second boat pitched my buddy at the lake. its a 11sec boat. somehow the kill switch got pulled and it turned right. the third, we are running the 10 sec class in st. louis and kentucky. its a center steered boat and i think thats better. just don`t get out of it too quick and keep your eye (big time!) on the water. there might be some boats just as quick but i don`t think there are any quicker hulls. be careful. you`ll have fun......

sdba069
    I think I know the 16' that crashed at SITC. If it's the one I'm thinking of, it spun right at the end of the course and backed into the bank. I believe it was busted up where the driver hit the right side and on the rear where it hit the bank. It was a 8 second boat in 1000', not 1320'. May not be the same one, but maybe.

Jspeeddemon
    My boat is 18'6" Sunkist with a full tunnel. I believe someone mentioned that they were very similar to the mantra hulls. Possibly same molds under two different names. Someone looked at it and said that it was a Texas Tunnel but on further investigation that doesn't appear to be true. However does anyone have further feedback on tendencies of this hull and things to watch out for with 700 plus HP.

RICHARD TILL
    Hey SDBA069, Yep, Thats the boat. White with a little red on it. We bought the boat, pump and trailer at SITC 2004. At the same race on the same day we bought another texas tunnel (hull only) from a guy named Anderson from Chicago. We built a 496 and put it in the chicago boat, on the arkansas trailer. This parts from everywhere boat is now running the M/E class in the K.D.B.A. & S.L.D.B.A. The busted up ole white boat is now stripped and retired under an old oak tree.