Thread: Hammerite Coating for Bowls

El Prosecutor
    Has anyone had experience using this coating? It is supposed to provide a glossy, "hammered metal" finish. I think I might use it on my trailer and on the exposed portion of the jet.
    http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...h,Hammerite.Ca ns...Quarts.Gallons;eclDrill;2999
    It is brushable and sprayable and because of the verigated finish it seems like touch ups would be a snap.

BigBlockBaja
    I see it blowing off the jet pump.. Ever look into powder coating?

El Prosecutor
    Powdercoating is a definite option. IF this other stuff would hold up it has the advantages of easy application and touch up, good color selection. No baking!

inwo
    I'd like to hear from others on best paint and primer for bowl. I've got some refinishing coming up.
    I used the rustoleum hammered paint with no primer on steel rails at home. It works well. I wonder how it works on bare aluminum, or what primer to use?

Rondane
    Sandblasting is key for prep of course, then use a two part "etch" primer for the bare aluminum. If you really want to get picky go over with a two part "high build" urathane primer to fill in pin holes. Then a good urathane enamel to make it look almost new. Actaully seen good luck with a base/clear type paint. All depends on how much money you want to spend.

jets4me
    i took my bowl and ride plate to get blasted and powdercoated they said they could not do it because of the gases in the metal so if anyone knows any different let me know

IMPATIENT 1
    i took my bowl and ride plate to get blasted and powdercoated they said they could not do it because of the gases in the metal so if anyone knows any different let me know
    YOU BAKE EM FIRST TO LET OUT THE GASSES AFTER IT HAS BEEN STRIPPED TO BARE METAL.TELL YOUR GUY TO BAKE IT THEN POWDER COAT.

455Rocket
    All depends on how much money you want to spend.
    I think that pretty much sums it up... I used etching primer from the autoparts store and spray-can automotive enamel. Invested a whole $20.00 in paint and supplies I didn't borrow from work... It came out pretty good I thought.
    Invest in preparing, wet sanding between coats, and being patient.
    http://www.hotboatpics.com/pics/data...CT0042-med.JPG

El Prosecutor
    ... It came out pretty good I thought.
    Invest in preparing, wet sanding between coats, and being patient.
    I'll second that- your bowl looks great. Nice work! I used to be in the paint business and it was always said that a good job is 75% prep work and 25% painting.