Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: XR Imco 525 or 575 I am Confused

zbestfam
    You are right the 575 is non EFI I thought it said 525 is the 575 a good engine??

HALLETT BOY
    You are right the 575 is non EFI I tought it said 525 is the 575 a good engine??
    The 575 was throttle body EFI, 525 is port injected EFI ....almost bought a boat with the 575, researched it and it seems to be a good engine...

Phat Matt
    You are right the 575 is non EFI I tought it said 525 is the 575 a good engine??
    I have a friend who has one in his 28' Eliminator open bow tall deck. He tops out at about 75mph, but his boat is pretty heavy.

zbestfam
    I called on the 575 today. They are going to get back to me on availability. Before I go for it I want to make sure it will fit in my boat or will I need a scoop. I will have to get some dimentions on that engine. I also called on a 525 If you had your choice and price was the same what would you all do??
    thanks all
    zbestfam

Phat Matt
    I called on the 575 today. They are going to get back to me on availability. Before I go for it I want to make sure it will fit in my boat or will I need a scoop. I will have to get some dimentions on that engine. I also called on a 525 If you had your choice and price was the same what would you all do??
    thanks all
    zbestfam
    That kind of a tough call. The 525 is a newer engine. The 575 has more power as is. The 525 can be built up for more power. I guess it would come down to how many hours were on them and if they were complete set ups.
    Good luck.

Beer-30
    The 575 is TB injected. Merc doesn't build any non-injected motors anymore.

zbestfam
    ok on the 575 and the xr what prop would you use?? The 575 looks like the motor I will be getting.
    Thanks for all the help
    zbestfam

paradigm shift
    If it were me I would talk to aftershock on drive height - prop set up when you decide what motor you are going to run. They should be able to get you real close. 525 vs 575 is a nice choice to have as both are great motors in my opinion.
    My points only you have decide if they are good or bad for your apllication. If I was looking for turn key lower maintenace - operating cost I would go with the 525 but again that is just me. Sacrafice a couple MPH.
    1. Closed cooling - Not required but is a real nice perk even if you do not plan on running in salt.
    2. Runs on regular 87 octane gas!
    3. 525 has the new ECM controller.
    4. A little less HP but much more fuel efficient.
    5. Easier on Bravo drive parts.
    1. Blower - fuel injection just plain cool.
    2. More HP but more fuel. They are known to be thirsty. High Octane 92-93
    3. Not an issue but they have a flat tappet cam not roller.
    4. More maintenance / more dollars to run.
    5. Change a pulley - add and inner-cooler and reprogram ECM and pick up measurable amount of HP pretty easy. Did I say more fuel.
    6. Will take a little more room up front for blower pulleys.
    Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
    Andy

zbestfam
    ok THANKS for all the help I called today and bought a 575 with a xr DWP drive. I will keep you all up to date as the build goes on. With out the link to offshore only I would have not gotten it. THANKS AGAIN
    Joe
    Zbestfam :rollside:

Beer-30
    Yeah, SuperChiller has a nice upgrade kit for that motor. Another 70-80HP, I believe. All bolt on.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast