Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Paint or gelcoat??

Towndrunk
    I bought a boat that was not taken care of and is in need of a new finish. Since I am retired with nothing to do but hunt I thought I'd put my air compressor to work. I have been sanding it with 100 grit orbital because of the 10 coats or so of clear over it and have gotten into the gel here and there so I am wondering should I regel or just paint over it? I need real help and suggestions as to what kind of gun, paint and or gel to use. My compressor is a 30 gallon oil free 8.2@40 and 5.3 @90. How this is achieved I don't know. It has no inline filter either. Please HELP!!!!!! :220v:

martan
    Spray it with Urethane. Get a decent hvlp gun or you'll need a bigger compressor. Don't use anything enamel or laquer based, not even primer. Good luck.
    www.bowkersfiberglass.com

Tom Brown
    I used polyurethane. Imron to be exact. I'm extremely pleased with the results.
    Having said that, if you plan to color sand and buff, I'd shoot gel. It's not particularly difficult.
    If you don't want to block the whole thing out after painting, I'd go with paint. It won't stick to the trailing edge of the sponsons of that Riot, though. There is no paint that will stick to the trailing edge of a hull at 100 mph.
    Oh... and I would try DuPont 50P polyacryl anhydride enamel. It claims to have all the benefits of Imron but none of the potentially lethal health dangers.

Jbb
    I used polyurethane. Imron to be exact. I'm extremely pleased with the results.
    Having said that, if you plan to color sand and buff, I'd shoot gel. It's not particularly difficult.
    If you don't want to block the whole thing out after painting, I'd go with paint. It won't stick to the trailing edge of the sponsons of that Riot, though. There is no paint that will stick to the trailing edge of a hull at 100 mph.
    Oh... and I would try DuPont 50P polyacryl anhydride enamel. It claims to have all the benefits of Imron but none of the potentially lethal health dangers.
    Lots of boats are painted with acrylic urethane...that is pretty durable....and sands and buffs to a beautiful sine...The Nortech pictured was painted with PPG Acrylic Urethane
    http://www.***boat.com/image_center/...60DSCF0024.JPG

Tom Brown
    Lots of boats are painted with acrylic urethane...that is pretty durable....and sands and buffs to a beautiful sine...The Nortech pictured was painted with PPG Acrylic Urethane
    How do they get it to stick to the trailing edge of the running surface at 80+ mph?
    My paint doesn't stick that great. It doesn't all peel off but there are dozens of tiny chips along the trailing edge. The primer (DuPont 1144) doesn't come off but the Imron does. I've tried sanding only to 200 grit, going with less paint build, going with more paint build, and making the edge less sharp (it was originally a knife edge). Nothing has worked for me.
    I've heard plenty of others say the same. So much so that I had come to the conclusion that the guys who say it works great at any speeds either don't look at the bottom of their hull or they don't mention the tiny chips that seem to form for so many of us.
    If it works for someone, can you give me some insight on how they did it? It would be sweet to not have to touch up that area all the time.
    Oh... and I wasn't trying to say it doesn't color sand. Only that you don't strictly have to color sand it as it can look pretty good without. Gel, on the other hand, looks like crap if you are doing a big panel and don't color sand it.

Towndrunk
    Thanks guys for the info. That paint job is kick ass.
    Tom, I'm not doing the bottom only the top cap. I may have to fix a few uhoh's on the pad but I'll cover it up with speed coat. I don't really think it works but it looks cool. This is what I am fixing. Notice the 3 thousand coAts of clear??

Tom Brown
    If I were you, I'd probably try shooting the new DuPont 50P polyacryl anhydride enamel for the deck only. It's safe and easy. No need to color sand, as long as you don't put too many blemishes in the final coat.
    Also, since you'll be selling the boat to Kim Hanson, it couldn't matter less if the paint fails 10 seconds after it leaves your yard.

Towndrunk
    Also, since you'll be selling the boat to Kim Hanson, it couldn't matter less if the paint fails 10 seconds after it leaves your yard.
    That right there is funny!! What color do you think he'd like??

Jbb
    How do they get it to stick to the trailing edge of the running surface at 80+ mph?
    Most of those boats,with the exception of Ballistic,have running surfaces that are unpainted..

Tom Brown
    Most of those boats,with the exception of Ballistic,have running surfaces that are unpainted..
    Cool. I think I'm going to gel my pad. The rest of the boat is perfect. I'm glad I went with Imron.
    TD, you should be aware that my experience is limited. Jbb is an expert and, in fact, someone I've learned a lot from. He knows his shit.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast