Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Craftsman Powder Coat Guns?

IMPATIENT 1
    Has Anyone Bought Or Tried A Craftsman P/c Gun.i Seen One This Weekend At Sears And Was Interested In Buying One To Do Small Pieces.it Looked Like A Cordless Drill.

Cas
    I saw those and was wondering the same thing. I did a little checking and was told that not all guns will except all powders. Being I spoke to someone that does powder coating, I want to believe him but then again, he may have said that cuz it may cut into his biz.
    If it's true, then there's a limitation on the kinds and colors. That little gun looked pretty cool though.
    If you're looking to get a p/c gun, check out Eastwood (www.eastwood.com), they've got a few guns and lots of colors.

Hemicbx
    I just bought the Eastwood system, Delexe Kit for $129. I am happy as a pig in. . .
    I bought it for the primary reason of doing my jet pump. Just got it re-assembled last night, I'll post pics soon.
    The thing is easy to use, fairly forgiving, and as near as I can tell, just flat works. The third piece I did was my JG bowl and it turned out freaking awesome.
    The best part of it when compared to painting is that cleanup is a bunch easier (blow it off) and it can be done in poor weather. Did my stuff in December in PA. Cold.
    Most of the guys on the Eastwood PC forums prefer the eastwood system, but there is a general feeling that the majority of the finish quality is, like anything else, in the prep work, not in the method used to apply it. There are several on the boards here who've used the Harbor Freight gun with great results. I'm sure the Craftsman system is good. They usually arent in the business of putting their name on inferior stuff.
    BTW, the Eastwood Delux Kit comes with some extra little trinkets that really help to make your first few pieces go a lot smoother: silicone plugs of various sizes, fibreglass masking tape, SS hanging wire, EXTRA BOTTLES, and gloss black powder, and two extra colors. All that for only $30 over the price of just the gun.
    Hemicbx

IMPATIENT 1
    I just bought the Eastwood system, Delexe Kit for $129. I am happy as a pig in. . .
    I bought it for the primary reason of doing my jet pump. Just got it re-assembled last night, I'll post pics soon.
    The thing is easy to use, fairly forgiving, and as near as I can tell, just flat works. The third piece I did was my JG bowl and it turned out freaking awesome.
    The best part of it when compared to painting is that cleanup is a bunch easier (blow it off) and it can be done in poor weather. Did my stuff in December in PA. Cold.
    Most of the guys on the Eastwood PC forums prefer the eastwood system, but there is a general feeling that the majority of the finish quality is, like anything else, in the prep work, not in the method used to apply it. There are several on the boards here who've used the Harbor Freight gun with great results. I'm sure the Craftsman system is good. They usually arent in the business of putting their name on inferior stuff.
    BTW, the Eastwood Delux Kit comes with some extra little trinkets that really help to make your first few pieces go a lot smoother: silicone plugs of various sizes, fibreglass masking tape, SS hanging wire, EXTRA BOTTLES, and gloss black powder, and two extra colors. All that for only $30 over the price of just the gun.
    Hemicbx
    SOUNDS LIKE I NEED THE EASTWOOD KIT THEN.THE 129.00 IS CHEAPER THAN THE CRAFTSMAN ANYWAY,PLUS I LIKE TO BUY STUFF THAT I KNOW WORKS.THANKS :idea:

sanger rat
    I started out with the HF gun. After it took a dump I went with a Redline from Pendry powder. It puts out much higher votage and uses less powder than the cheapies. It's not on there website right now so give them a call. www.pendrypowdercoatings.com

Hipshot
    How does the process work? After you spray the part do you then put it in your kitchen oven or what. If it is fairly easy to do and looks and lasts a while I will difinitely look into getting a system.

IMPATIENT 1
    How does the process work? After you spray the part do you then put it in your kitchen oven or what. If it is fairly easy to do and looks and lasts a while I will difinitely look into getting a system.
    i've only watched someone do it,i can paint so i figured i'd learn to powder coat as well.noone in 100 miles of me does it.i wouldn't use your everyday cookin stove for it.fumes from coatings are toxic! you can use a household stove if you never plan on cookin in it again.

El Prosecutor
    That is a slick setup - very tempting. The Eastwood site is advertising a 10% off "everything" sale right now as well. :idea: An electric oven from a thrift store would probably hold a bowl or suction housing. . .

YeLLowBoaT
    Basicly you use a electrostatic gun to apply te powder then heat it to have it bond.
    Really what you have is a "sand blaster" that gives a + charge to the powder. You apply a - charge to the part. Its like take 2 magnets and put then + to - they stick toegether really well. Now think "cream bula(sp??)" where you aplly sugar to the top of a custard and use a toruch to "carmelize" the sugar in to a hard surface.

shirkey4750
    I belive Sears owns Eastwood, I have a catalog from Sears that is identical to the Eastwood one. I called one day ordering polishing material and the lady answered saying Eastwood and then started laughing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast