Thread: how to remove pump?

kcsteck
    hi all. I already read some of the pump removal stuff but wanted advice best way to remove pump from my 76 tahiti jet. I redid my boat last year,repainted boat went thru motor etc,etc. Boat was great all summer and now that its winter I want to check the pump.1 to see what impellar is in it and what shape it is in. I have 455 Olds,headers,cam Victor intake 750 Demon etc wont go over 57 mph at around 5000k RPM wanted to see if wear ring i think its called is ok and what shape impellar is etc. I have bekely JC says A impellar on tag but i know people change stuff so im unsure.
    What i need to know is do I remove transom adapter plate and then the big bolts and pump will come off and I can see both impellar and wear ring. or do i need to remove from Intake?I have no idea but with some advice i am up to the task. After I get it out I will probbalyy need someone else to do the repairs if needed. Just want to save some $ and do the removal and install.
    Also what would be best impellar for my application? A Or B or combo?
    Im also lookin for PTO for Olds for flexplate i currently have flywheel out of car. Heavy as hell and probably robbin HP.
    Let me know what you guys suggest.
    Casey

kcsteck
    24 lookie looks but no clues?

....What i need to know is do I remove transom adapter plate and then the big bolts and pump will come off and I can see both impellar and wear ring. or do i need to remove from Intake?
    Doing that will get the bowl off and give you access to the impeller. You cant see the wear ring without pulling the impeller.
    Removing the pump suction housing requires doing that plus removing the suction housing-to-intake bolts. Note: There are a couple hiding just ahead of the bowl mounting flange. If you have a 3-point engine mount, you will also need to disconnect the rear mount from the front of the pump, and raise the rear of the engine slightly. The splined driveline will slide right out of the pump when you pull the pump back.
    You should do some reading HERE (http://www.berkeleyjet.com/Manuals/overhaul.htm) or find a copy of the Seloc "Marine Jet Drive" manual.
    Check with CP Performance or Rex Marine for the PTO.
    If you need help from someone close by, check with Glen at Pleasureboat Specialties in San Jose.

kcsteck
    thanks very much oldsquirt!

W.O.T
    http://www.americanturbine.com/downl..._oh_manual.pdf
    this is a big help. courtesy of yellowboat in my other thread.

watergun4u
    ok this is no major project persay, if you remove the transom housing for the rear, and then romove the cables and steering from the noozles,unbolt the bowl from the suction housing, pull the bowl off, might have some water in it, and maybe some oil, if the seals are good, then just romove the impeller, from shaft, and you can do this, by sliding a round bar or something hard,thrugh the u-joints h bar so the motor wont spin while you take off the impeller nutits about 80, 125 ft lbs,so it tight, but make sure you put some kind of support under the shaft as you try to take off impeller ,so you wont damage the impeller or pinch the insolater, that the ring that goes under the impeller!, if you have any questions, feel free to email me!!!!!!:idea: