Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parts Washers

78Eliminator
    What solvents do you guys use in your parts washers and where do you get it?
    J

Hotcrusader76
    Use the stuff by Berrymans. It's called Chem-Dip. It comes in 5-gallon pales. You can get it a Kragen or do a search online. It works great on everything, including your brain cells!
    BTW- it's the most horid smell you'll ever stumble upon. Hense the reason my switch to a bio-friendly powder solution.
    Good luck.

78Eliminator
    Hotcrusader76:
    Use the stuff by Berrymans. It's called Chem-Dip. It comes in 5-gallon pales. You can get it a Kragen or do a search online. It works great on everything, including your brain cells!
    BTW- it's the most horid smell you'll ever stumble upon. Hense the reason my switch to a bio-friendly powder solution.
    Good luck. I used the powder shit you are talking about and it began to rust my parts washer so I want an oil based one like kerosene or something. When I briefly worked as a mechanic between computer jobs, they had some nasty stuff that made your skin tingle and you would see images of the devil in oil puddles. I'm just not sure what everyone uses in here.
    I know you use the berrymans stuff on carbs and it eats just about everything BUT the carb, but that might be a little overkill for my purposes. I just want something to clean some of my old parts up as I assemble my motor.

Hotcrusader76
    double post...sorry
    [ April 16, 2003, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: Hotcrusader76 ]

Fiat48
    I use just regular paint thinner. Usually about $2.00 a gallon at a hardware store. I like actual solvent better, but seems as though not too easy to get here locally unless you go with a solvent service such as Safety Klean.

stump
    Mineral spirits is the same thing as safty clean
    Varasol if you can find it is also great to use

78Eliminator I use the same stuff as stump and it works great. I looked up a couple of places for ya it shouldn't be to hard to get it from any of these guys.
    Mineral Spirits

78Eliminator
    Stix818:
    78Eliminator I use the same stuff as stump and it works great. I looked up a couple of places for ya it shouldn't be to hard to get it from any of these guys.
    Mineral Spirits You mean varisol? Is that what I ask for? Why is varasol better than paint thinner?
    [ April 16, 2003, 10:42 PM: Message edited by: 78Eliminator ]

Just Tool'n
    Solvent as we know it is outlawed now in Calif, (as if everythimg good allready isnt).
    Most shops are now using a parts washer consisting of hot water & a soap solution like simple green.
    But we use to get 55 gallon drums of paint thinner from our local oil dist. Do not know if they still sell it though!

DogHouse
    I bought solvent from a local outfit similar to SafetyClean here in Phx. I think thier name was Solvent Recyclers or something like that. I was under the impression that cleaning solvent is similar to mineral spirits, but has been modified to be less volatile so that it's safer to store. I know I don't have any problems with fumes in my garage, even when I forget to close the lid.
    -brian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast