I posted some questions for you over in the "Tahiti fans" post concerning Hawaiian boats layup.
Originally Posted by old rigger
When Hawaiian fired up I had just graduated high school in '74 and went to work there in the glass dept. Of course my dad went there too. When they folded up I went to Rogers and thats where I learned to rig, 1980.
My dad got out of it at the same time, after the energy crunch.
You two must have worked together back in the late 60's early 70's, his name was Dick Turner.
So what could you tell me about the actual construction on a Hawaiian? Mine is a 1975 18'. I am interested in knowing if there is plywood around the bottom side edge of the deck around the bow. The deck on mine has a noticeable low area on the port side, between the bow and the dash. The stbd side of the deck is nice and straight from stem to stern. I plan on removing the deck over the winter to replace the wood under the deck at the stern and dash, as well as the transom, stringers, and floor. It also appears the bustle was cracked on the port side and repaired, but left low at the break. The radius across the top does not flow smoothly from one side to the other.