Thread: Dimarco boats

909IE
    Looking about buying a 23' Dimaro. Can anyone give me some insight on this. I have a 99 jet boat but want something in the late 70 to early 80. I have looked at Tahiti, Bahner, spectra and now Dimarco. I only have about 11k to spend and it looks like I have a few options. What would be a good one to look at. Also what should I look for when buying a used V-drive. I have only had I/O's and jets now its time for a change. Thanks for all your input.

SPECTRABRENT
    I dont think Dimarco made a 23 foot, but they did make a 21 foot Day cruiser. The Dimarco 21 was a well made copy of the Spectra 20. They did change the deck from the Spectra 20.
    As I always say go with the original, look for a Spectra 20.
    Brent
    www.spectramarine.com

78DiMarco
    Like Brent said the DiMarco looks like a splash of a Spectra. I was at a CVDCOA outing a few years ago and a guy came up to me and said he built my boat. He said he worked at Spectra back in the 70's. I informed him it was a DiMarco and he couldn't beleive it. Sonny DiMarco made some nice boats back then. You could get lightened hulls or what ever you wanted. Today my boat has the original gelcoat, no stress cracks and is in great shape. Minor oxidation that I'm going to try and restore.
    Good luck on your search!
    [ March 11, 2003, 01:58 PM: Message edited by: 78DiMarco ]

909IE
    Thanks for the info. I think I have found one but wasn't sure about it. I do have one last question...this is a '78 23ft v-drive with a 460, what do you think would be a fair price. From the pic's that I have seen it looks good. Trying to take a look at this weekend to make sure everything is on the up and up. I have never had a classic boat but sure am looking forward to it.

78DiMarco
    If the boat is in good shape, a quality builder and it is rigged nicely it could be worth some money. It all depends on the hardware in my opinion. Most people (it seems) like the GM engines. It sounds like it has a Ford 460. What brand V-drive? Does it have a transmission? What type of cavitation plate? Guages, accessores, steering? What type of trailer? All these things need to be answered to get an estimate of the value. Assuming it is in decent shape and runs good I would say about $10,000 plus or minus a couple grand. If it is real nice it could be double that. A 23ft may not be as popular as a 20 or 21ft.
    Good luck and have fun with your classic what ever you end up with!

Costello
    78, what color is yours? I have an 82 that is actually registered as a Deaver. I suspect Sonny Di Marco did not have a MIC code at this time, so they used Gene Deaver's. Mine is cream with the brown woodgrain. This classic also boasts original "Root Beer Brown" upholstery.

SPECTRABRENT
    Costello,
    I dont think the Dimarco has the same deck as yours. I think your deck is the same as a Spectra. The 21 Dimarco & 21 Centurian are the same.
    Brent

Costello
    Mine's identical to the several other DiMarco's that I've seen, it just has a "DEV" MIC. Hell what do I know, it could be different, but that's how it was explained to me by folks who were around Deaver and DiMarco back then. 78, what kind of hull ID # does yours have for the first few letters?