Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Spark Plugs Keep Burning Out The Electrode????

Dans66Stevens
    I had this happen once before. I pulled my plugs today.I found that one plug is missing the metal center to the electrode. Anyone have a clue what could cause this? The motor is a 402 BBC with a unilite dist. The plugs are R44XLS A/C
    Im thinking they are to hot? Anyone have any clue? Thanks Dan

gnarley
    OUCH!
    What Cylinders? DO A COMP TEST! What carb, fuel pressure, jet size, octane, total timing & RPM? You have a blower on there don’t you? How much boost?
    Sounds like its way lean & plugs ??? I don’t know the numbering sequence anymore but I run on the cold side of what’s recommended.

Dans66Stevens
    No Blower, It only ever has happened to one plug at a time. Its not the same cylinder. The compression is like 150 psi in all cylinders. I run like 38% total advance. If I try to run less the motor runs terrible.

Havasu Hangin'
    Hey Dan...I had spark plug problems (separated ceramic, burned electrode) right before the motor let go...
    ...turns out the spark plugs did not like pinging...they just gave in faster than the piston...
    http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/happy/happy25.gif

Infomaniac
    DETONATION!!!!!!!!!

Boater Bill
    All these guys are right. Drop down to a 43 or 42 plug, these are cooler and coolest. With 38 degrees of advance you better be running some good fuel, todays pump gas ain't gonna cut it at that setting IMO. Cooler plugs, rejet carb as necessary, back timing down, better fuel, and you shouldn't have a problem. If you don't fix it now, your gonna fix a lot soon!

stressedout
    And try a autolite #23.Is the porcelin cracked too, or is the electrode melted? If it's melted then theres too much timing and or too lean.

Blown509Liberator
    DETONATION,DETONATION,DETONATION
    I work for Robert Bosch, here in Broadview IL we do all the Spark plug testing and we see this all the time.
    MikeW

GEOO
    DETONATION..
    Run better fuel.
    Cooler engine Temp.
    Less timing.
    Cooler Air intake. (If you idle a long time the engine compartment may get hot. Air it out or run easy until it cool's down).
    Richen fuel mixture a little. GEOO

Dans66Stevens
    Well the porcelin is ok. Just the tip of the electrode is gone. The other 7 plugs look great. I will drop a heat range or two and back off the timing a little.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast