Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GM stereo: LOCKED...help???

al cole'holic
    Call the dealer. They MAY just give you the code. If not, you can take it there. Takes 2 seconds if you got the code.
    ...do you just punch in the code or is there something special you gotta hit too??

HOOTER SLED-
    ...do you just punch in the code or is there something special you gotta hit too??
    If I remember right, you have to do it in sequence with other buttons or something. I believe the instructions are in the manual. But the code is not. So you should be good. Check the manual. It's been a while.

1Shockwaveguy
    Open the owners maunal on the truck, it will explain how to do it with the code you have

HOOTER SLED-
    Open the owners maunal on the truck, it will explain how to do it with the code you have
    Good advice.

JAY4SPEED
    The radio stores the VIN over the class 2 data line from the previous truck. When the new vin doesn't match the stored VIN it locks up. There isn't a code that you can punch in for the '06 model. GM hasn't used the Theftlock system for a few years years now, last I remember it being used was in '98 if I'm not mistaken, so there are no codes only stored VINs. If the radio has Theftlock on the front of it then it uses the code system. If it does not, then it has to be programmed to accept the new VIN with a Tech 2. The vehicle's audio configuration also has to be set up with programming (bose systems, crew cab, extended cab, etc.) Only way to do it is to go to the dealer and see if they will help. I've done this before for some customers.
    From the GM service manual...
    "The theft deterrent system is a feature on all base and uplevel radios. There is no need to program a security code into the radio as in past model years. The theft deterrent system now utilizes class 2 serial data to determine if the radio is in the appropriate vehicle. Each time the radio receives the run power mode message, it compares the VIN information it has stored to the VIN information received from a module on the class 2 serial data circuit responsible for transmitting that information. If a mis-match occurs, the radio display will indicate to the user the radio is locked. Once this takes place, a DTC will set, the radio will not respond to any button presses and become inoperative. The 2 scenarios able to cause this condition are:
    A radio is installed from another vehicle.
    A module which communicates on the class 2 serial data circuit which supplies VIN information to the radio is replaced and not properly setup with the correct VIN information for that vehicle.
    The only way to unlock the radio is by using a scan tool. Always refer to the table in this section to diagnose the Theftlock DTC for further information."
    Jay

phebus
    Can you be a little more specific? :rollside:

JAY4SPEED
    Can you be a little more specific? :rollside:
    Hey, I may not know a lot of things about boats but when I do know something, I'll speak up when it counts.....lol
    Jay

phebus
    Note to self....Self, contact JAY4SPEED on any Chevy related problems I might have. :rollside:
    Luckily, your not a Ford guy, or you'd be too busy for me to get hold of you.

riverbound
    The radio stores the VIN over the class 2 data line from the previous truck. When the new vin doesn't match the stored VIN it locks up. There isn't a code that you can punch in for the '06 model. GM hasn't used the Theftlock system for a few years years now, last I remember it being used was in '98 if I'm not mistaken, so there are no codes only stored VINs. If the radio has Theftlock on the front of it then it uses the code system. If it does not, then it has to be programmed to accept the new VIN with a Tech 2. The vehicle's audio configuration also has to be set up with programming (bose systems, crew cab, extended cab, etc.) Only way to do it is to go to the dealer and see if they will help. I've done this before for some customers.
    From the GM service manual...
    "The theft deterrent system is a feature on all base and uplevel radios. There is no need to program a security code into the radio as in past model years. The theft deterrent system now utilizes class 2 serial data to determine if the radio is in the appropriate vehicle. Each time the radio receives the run power mode message, it compares the VIN information it has stored to the VIN information received from a module on the class 2 serial data circuit responsible for transmitting that information. If a mis-match occurs, the radio display will indicate to the user the radio is locked. Once this takes place, a DTC will set, the radio will not respond to any button presses and become inoperative. The 2 scenarios able to cause this condition are:
    A radio is installed from another vehicle.
    A module which communicates on the class 2 serial data circuit which supplies VIN information to the radio is replaced and not properly setup with the correct VIN information for that vehicle.
    The only way to unlock the radio is by using a scan tool. Always refer to the table in this section to diagnose the Theftlock DTC for further information."
    Jay
    Take it to the dealer...they will charge you between $50-75 to fix it

Chase
    Note to self....Self, contact JAY4SPEED on any Chevy related problems I might have. :rollside:
    Luckily, your not a Ford guy, or you'd be too busy for me to get hold of you.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast