Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 100% cpu usage

Phat Matt
    I am getting burned out on trying to figure out why my pc jumps to 100% cpu usage and turns into a dog. It seems certain websites do it and it doesn't really matter whether I am using IE7 or Firefox. I can't watch video on any of the pages like break.com or You Tube because it is embedded in the page and just becomes totally choppy. I am running a Sony laptop 3.2 Ghz with 512 mb of RAM. I wasn't like this before, but now I want to throw this thing through the dam window when it acts up.
    Any suggestions?

YeLLowBoaT
    have you run a spyware check? or AVS

dicudmore
    spyware problem??

Tom Brown
    I wasn't like this before, but now I want to throw this thing through the dam window when it acts up.
    Any suggestions?
    I suggest a plate glass window.
    Since I have little of value to add to this thread, I'll just go ahead and shit in here. We can all warm our hands on the steam.
    Oh... and you might want to flip open Task Manager, sort on the CPU column, and see if you can spot the barking dog. It's possitble for malware to hide itself from the Task Manager but it's worth looking at.

C-2
    I use SystemMechanic, it was recommended by a couple of forensic guys. I am using a 4 yr old computer with heavy use - it keeps it nice and clean. Let's you defrag the memory, recover memory, tweak memory settings, cleans the crap out of it.
    You might try blowing some air thru your computer - a bunch of dust will do weird phucking things to it, like slow it down.

Phat Matt
    have you run a spyware check? or AVS
    Yes. Windows defender and AVG run daily. Sometime I run Ad-aware or spybot to double check. I when I get really frustrated I'll run the trendmicro online to check for spyware, grayware and malware.
    It's usually pretty clean except for maybe some cookies.
    I don't think that is the problem.

Phat Matt
    I suggest a plate glass window.
    Since I have little of value to add to this thread, I'll just go ahead and shit in here. We can all warm our hands on the steam.
    Oh... and you might want to flip open Task Manager, sort on the CPU column, and see if you can spot the barking dog. It's possitble for malware to hide itself from the Task Manager but it's worth looking at.
    Task manager is pretty much always open on the task bar and when it starts acting up I maximize it to check it out. I have it sorted by cpu usage so what ever is taking the most is on top. Generally it is one of the browsers (firefox or IE) but it could be a number of other programs also. Sometimes outlook.exe hogs it, sometimes it's svchost.exe, one time the damn print spooler took it all up and lagged the system.
    Right now system idle process is any where from 96 to 98%...great...but I could open another window or try to watch a video and bam...back to 100%.

Phat Matt
    I use SystemMechanic, it was recommended by a couple of forensic guys. I am using a 4 yr old computer with heavy use - it keeps it nice and clean. Let's you defrag the memory, recover memory, tweak memory settings, cleans the crap out of it.
    You might try blowing some air thru your computer - a bunch of dust will do weird phucking things to it, like slow it down.
    I'll d/l it now and give it a shot. There is a 30 day free trial.

Phat Matt
    So now it is playing a video that was on google just fine that I couldn't play earlier tonight. The cpu hung around 28%. I just played to goats in a tree link on Yahoo's homepage right now and I got half way through it before I reached 100% which is further than I got before.

Kilrtoy
    maybe you and the fella from Frisco got it infected:supp:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast