Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3.0 Mercury

RonHill
    I've kind of got a handle on he S-3000. But some of you spoke highly of he 3.0 liter.
    Why haven't I heard much about these motors? EPA???
    How do they run against the 2.5 performance wise??
    I remember very well when Mercury Outboards were 100 cubic inches...Everyone said the 122 V-6 was a DOG..UNTIL Dick Sherrer, put a 122 on his boat and went around the track at Long Beach like a ROCKET, until the sponson came off his boat and he landed in the parking lot....
    I own a couple of good S-3000's but the this 3.0 liter motor has me wondering....and with the EPA laws the way they are, Mercury probably isn't building it any more...
    Bring me up to speed on this 3.0 liter...

LakeTrash
    I am sold on the 3.0. Amazing power with reliability.
    Here is what it looks like at 350+ hp.
    http://airmasterstab.com/AA.jpg
    We do 1/8 mile playing at our gettogethers. It turns a 26 Yamaha 8400 with 1.87 gears and is undefeated up to now.
    http://airmasterstab.com/Pearl-1.jpg
    LT

stoker2001
    LT,that 3.0 is one bad MOFO,any chance of you making the IHBA World Finals 2007 with that bad boy?Sure would love to see it run off of the rope.I almost had Dave Bush talked into it this year.You and bush would be an awesome run

LakeTrash
    The boat belongs to my nefew so that would be his decision but I hate organized racing. Too much crap for too little seat time.
    The engine is actually a 3.4. It was running 180 lbs of compression at the last outing. We have upped that to 215 and reset the fuel injection to let it turn 9K. Hope to run it in a week or two. Should be a hell of a ride.
    The most amazing thing is the torque out of the hole. Most of the 2.5 drag motors are running 2.0 gears with 20" props turning 11K. You would think they would kill us out of the hole but it was even running for the first 50 feet and all over from there on.
    One more. Look at the chop in the roost. It is really hooking up.
    http://airmasterstab.com/Pearl.jpg
    LT

stoker2001
    One more. Look at the chop in the roost. It is really hooking up.
    LTI guess thats one way to look at it but,i thought the less water disturbed behind the boat shows how efficent your prop,skeg and lowerunit is wouldnt work for top fuelers though:supp: guess it depends on how smooth or choppy the water is.LT keep the pics comeing

RonHill
    Are all 3.0 Liters Nikasil Blocks? Do the come with six carbs, like the old CCC Evinrude??? can you run an S-3000 EFI set up...?
    Do the pistons need top pinning like the 2.5?
    Last for now, does the 3.0 bolt up to a 2.5 mid section or is it different?
    Heading to TENESSEE TO PICK UP TWO BOATS, BE GONE FOR FIVE DAYS.

vishus
    they do not match up stock. You can make it work with a Wayne Taylor adapter or similiar.
    check out
    http://www.madefi.com/midsec.htm
    or
    http://www.simonmotorsports.com/page15.html
    SIMON and Wayne Taylor have been running the 3.0s HARD with GREAT results...
    I have been thinking of going this direction and selling off my 2.5 stuff...

vishus
    LT,
    it would appear (via prop calc) that you are running 100-102 in the 1/8 and that the 2.5Drags are running closer to 93-94 in the 1/8, you have them covered by a solid 7-8mphs.
    that 3.0 looks like it is definitely taking care of business!!! bring it to IHBA I would love to see it!
    did you run at the Parker Enduro?
    sid

LakeTrash
    100 on the money.
    Stoker - Your thoughts are right on once the boat nears top speed. The roost will settle down to a low steady stream if the setup is correct.
    That pic is 100 feet out of the hole. The boat is completely dry and accelerating at a horrid pace. By the way, that boat he is pulling away from runs a very strong 300 drag with a 15" mid and all the tricks.
    I have a 620hp 502 in my flatbottom. It is not the quickest drag boat but it does run pretty damn good. The 3.4 pulls me in mid range to the point I am checking to see if all 8 are hitting. It is very impressive.
    I did not make the Parker 300, again. It seems the gods are against me. Nothing will keep me from making it this year. My Ron Jones ET with T58 turbine power and an Arneson drive will be there.
    LT

Evin Rude
    I've kind of got a handle on he S-3000. But some of you spoke highly of he 3.0 liter.
    Why haven't I heard much about these motors?
    Mercury's 2.5 comes out of the box real strong. Very little effort required to make good power.
    The 3.0 will make a lot more power than a 2.5 but since it isnt available "over the counter" few will do the work to make them run.
    Merc's 2.5 series made outboard hotrodders lazy, Merc did all the work for them........write a check, tighten 4 bolts, hook up a few wires/hoses/cables and you are fast.
    ER

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast